GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Purchasing 2014 from CarMax

Old 05-02-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Purchasing 2014 from CarMax

Hi All,

Any inputs on purchasing 2014 GL450's from carMax. Once my initial 4 years/50000 miles warranty expires, I should be able to purchase extended Maintainence packages. Right?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450
buying a car is the same wherever u buy it from, check every part of the car thoroughly and also check if car is up for any scheduled maintenance before u buy and test drive, the more issues u show to them whether big or small the better u can bargain on the price, remember all sellers mostly mark up price by atleast 5-6k or more than what they paid it for, its time consuming but u can bargain better with facts and before the factory warranty expires u can buy extended warranty and also maintenance plans are available but not all dealers give u best deals, u need to do lot of search and make phone calls to various mb dealers for better and fair pricing, i have no idea which dealers are fair in pricing.

Last edited by lingaraju.g; 05-02-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:05 PM

2014 GL450
Carmax is non-MB dealer

Please be warned that the mercedes will not sell you extended warranty, if you buy from non-Mercedes dealer. I got burnt, bought one, tried several dealers and all of them came back saying upon checking the sales history by Vin #, that the vehicle is not eligible. Finally was able to return the vehicle, as I do not want to maintain a mercedes without extended warranty, unless you had loads of cash to spare. Mercedes wants to ensure that you keep on paying the premium to its dealers even in the resale market.

Third party warranties are a joke and with so much electronics, they usually find a reason not to pay. Not worth the hassle and false sense of comfort, IMO.

Originally Posted by MBUser143
Hi All,

Any inputs on purchasing 2014 GL450's from carMax. Once my initial 4 years/50000 miles warranty expires, I should be able to purchase extended Maintainence packages. Right?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
For 3rd party extended warranty, I recommend Ally Major Guard. Just filed a major claim with no issues, they provided a rental car allowance too.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:55 PM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by djay
Please be warned that the mercedes will not sell you extended warranty, if you buy from non-Mercedes dealer. I got burnt, bought one, tried several dealers and all of them came back saying upon checking the sales history by Vin #, that the vehicle is not eligible. Finally was able to return the vehicle, as I do not want to maintain a mercedes without extended warranty, unless you had loads of cash to spare. Mercedes wants to ensure that you keep on paying the premium to its dealers even in the resale market.

Third party warranties are a joke and with so much electronics, they usually find a reason not to pay. Not worth the hassle and false sense of comfort, IMO.
i brought my 2014 mb gl450 used from non mb dealer and it had around 32k miles and i had no problem purchasing MB ELW from a MB dealer and purchased one, not sure what happened in your case.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL350
Same thing. I purchased my gl350 non-MB while still under factory. Was able to purchase extended from MB. Lots of info on this forum about that.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Depends on the Mercedes VMI/service records for the vehicle - and since a non-MB dealer does not have access for that - and "technically" under privacy laws a MB dealer is not to release VMI to a non-owner..
Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 AM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Depends on the Mercedes VMI/service records for the vehicle - and since a non-MB dealer does not have access for that - and "technically" under privacy laws a MB dealer is not to release VMI to a non-owner..
i had the same discussion with my local mb dealer about VMI, there is no question of privacy issues as no individuals name are present on VMI and even if present they can be hidden totally so no issue of privacy, but i was able to look at the VMI at the dealer thoroughly but he would not let me take it out the dealership. but regarding the main op question, i am of the understanding that as long as it is under factory warranty and meets MB minimum requirements which are not clear u can get mb elw, but after expiration of 4y/50k your only choice is 3rd party and its hard to find a good one, search around in these forums for better answer.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:13 AM

GL450
Use the 5 day return policy

I recently purchased from CarMax because they had a vehicle with the options I wanted at a very good price. The next day I took it to the local MB dealership and had a thorough inspection performed. It turns out the vehicle is in perfect shape and eligible for the MB ELW. Had significant issues been discovered in either the inspection or VMI, I would have returned it to CarMax for a refund under their no questions asked return policy. Best of luck to you in your decision.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:47 AM

honda
You can probably buy the extended warranty from Carmax...I haven't used it: https://www.carmax.com/car-buying-pr...-service-plans