GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Advice for a prospective GL buyer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Edge
Advice for a prospective GL buyer

Hello to all.

Wanted to get some general info about the GL. I live in the Middle East and have seen a 2014 GL (2.5 years on the road) for sale with only 18k miles on it and with 6 months left on the warranty.

I have driven a number of sedans and SUVs in my life all from Japanese and American auto makers. For the most part they've held up quite well. Nothing more than the regular service and perhaps one or two repairs after the car passes around 5 years on the road. But repairs have very rarely passed $1000 total per car for its entire lifetime.

If I bought this car it would be my first foray into the luxury car market and MB. And my main concern like anyone entering the market is the cost of unscheduled repairs. I have no issue paying for the scheduled maintainence, insurance and fuel. But the idea of something breaking and being hit with a bill that runs into thousands of dollars makes me very skeptical to buy this car. So just wanted to get an idea from the GL owners on this forum how their cars have held up?

And some other questions I have if anyone so has the time and inclination to answer:

1) Cost of tires. I believe that the tires placed in luxury sedans are very expensive? How much are a good set in your country?
2) The car I'm looking at has a few service messages regarding lights. Specifically issue with the interior light systems and the rear parking lights. In your experience are these warnings normally frivolous or do they really mean serious repairs? From what I can see they do not have to do with any major component of the car.
3). Roads in the middle East are not the best. And we often have to drive through stony desert to get to where we want to. I have heard that the air suspension of the GL might not be too good at handling much more than smooth pavement and could develop issues in the environment. I am not taking about serious of offroading by any stretch but it would be in the equivalent of a stony unpaved road on an almost daily basis.

Thanks