GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Cheapest place to buy parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
Cheapest place to buy parts?

I brought my CPO GL350 to the dealer for my first service experience. I've had the GL for about 6k miles and it is at 42K miles. I usually service my vehicles myself but I was a bit intimidated by the fuel filter and the summer is busy. The service indicator said it needed Service B. I was quoted $620 for service B. Midway through the service day, I get a call saying the tech suggests I also change the engine air filters and the fuel filter. What? I was under the impression that service B INCLUDED oil, oil filter, engine air filters, fuel filter, and a bunch of bull**** checks.

So for the $620, they changed the oil, filter, and wiper blades! Yup. $110 wiper blades. Grrr. My bad for not asking specifically what the $620 gets me. I assumed "Service B" was everything listed in the maintenance manual under the 40K service.

End of the day - the 40K service was not fully completed. Time to start maintaining the vehicle myself. Unfortunately there isn't the wealth of write-ups and videos of maintenance that I've seen for other vehicles.

I still need to replace the engine air filters. Any suggestions on a cheap and reliable source for Mercedes parts? I usually use IdParts.com for all my VW TDI needs but their prices don't seem very competitive.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
I've ordered a couple of things off of https://www.mbonlineparts.com. Their prices are all over the place. Some things seem like a deal, others are ridiculous.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Pelican Parts
Autohausaz
Amazon
Ebay
and the plethora of MB dealership online only parts sellers.

I just purchased engine air filters and the pre HVAC filter from Pelican and the HVAC fine/charcoal filter from Amazon.

Shop around the above list, none of them are always the cheapest all the time.

Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
I brought my CPO GL350 to the dealer for my first service experience. I've had the GL for about 6k miles and it is at 42K miles. I usually service my vehicles myself but I was a bit intimidated by the fuel filter and the summer is busy. The service indicator said it needed Service B. I was quoted $620 for service B. Midway through the service day, I get a call saying the tech suggests I also change the engine air filters and the fuel filter. What? I was under the impression that service B INCLUDED oil, oil filter, engine air filters, fuel filter, and a bunch of bull**** checks.

So for the $620, they changed the oil, filter, and wiper blades! Yup. $110 wiper blades. Grrr. My bad for not asking specifically what the $620 gets me. I assumed "Service B" was everything listed in the maintenance manual under the 40K service.

End of the day - the 40K service was not fully completed. Time to start maintaining the vehicle myself. Unfortunately there isn't the wealth of write-ups and videos of maintenance that I've seen for other vehicles.

I still need to replace the engine air filters. Any suggestions on a cheap and reliable source for Mercedes parts? I usually use IdParts.com for all my VW TDI needs but their prices don't seem very competitive.

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 07-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,105 Likes on 810 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sorry to hear about that - 40K service is a B++ - unfortunately you didn't check the price for 3yrs/30K [[d service - which at 40K covers ALL recommedned items - a bit over $1000 for the 30K
Old 07-14-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
MB retail service is something, it's a wonder folks return for a next car... fortunately, DIY is only a bit less complicated than brain surgery.
I bought the dry filters last month. I'll post filters sources and price details for you later today once I get to my file at the office. I negotiated all new ones plus the fuel at time of CPO purchase, so I'm off the book schedule and following my own by miles since last install. I don't plan on doing the fuel filter, but the dry ones are well documented and less scary to me than being the brain surgery patient.
For example. Almost like grabbing and slapping in that $15 Wallymart air filter for your Honda, almost...

Last edited by mustbebenz; 07-14-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
I am here if you ever have any questions about parts please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to assist you.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
on GLC300 #2 (GL350 before those)
Sources:
ALL AMAZON
MB of Warwick for Engine Air Filters, MB OEM 642 094 00 00 set (pair) $92
Mahle LAK 878/S pair of HVAC cabin air filters (inner) carbon activated thick filters $36.12
Mann CU25-002 Cabin Air Filter (single), the thinner particle or screen filter thing $17.35