GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Headlight bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
Headlight bulb replacement

So my headlight bulb went out on me yesterday and looking to replace with something else. And want to know What is a good upgrade to go with? Can I replace with LED? let me know what you all suggest.....appreciate your help!
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Assuming you have oem halogens, short answer is yes you can upgrade to canbus leds, but a better option would be doing an hid conversion. Whichever option, make sure it’s a canbus kit else they won’t work. We can set you up if interested.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
How much will that be? I just want a plug and play solution to this issue..yes I do have stock halogen bulb unfortunately .....a brand new corolla comes with xenon headlamps or a new Sentra eh...and 60 + thousand MB comes with halogen shame, there’s more on that discussion in my other thread.

@azn was not directed to you just stating in general. could you pm me some more details are thank you
Old 10-25-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Yes, I tooo was disappointed (with quite a few things) that my 2013 GL 450 came with stock halogens headlamps (brakes too) ... I have tried to date 4 different versions of LEDs ... they are just not bright enough and don't cast the same spread as the stock halogens although I like the 6000k color temp (research has confirmed that part of it is the projector housing vs. reflector housing) ... I am now researching HID retros 35w, 55w, even 100w ... the BIGGEST challenge you will encounter (as is the case with the LEDs) is that you will need an adapter clip to fit the H7 bulbs, and even then you would probably have to make slight modifications to them ... if you remove your existing one, you will see what I mean (that clip is pretty much necessary for all LEDs out there) ... many of the HID Xeon kits come with a plastic H7 base that might be too thick for the adapter clip .. the other challenge you will encounter is that many of the HID bulbs have the cable already attached with connecting caps at the end of the cable (to attach to the ballast) and those connecting caps are too big to slide through the hole of the adapter kit ... I know, changing oil is less of a headache ... ughhhhh ... whatever bulbs you buy (including upgrades to the rear fog lights, interior cabin wedge bulbs, break lights, and reverse lights, make sure they are CANBUS error free bulbs ... the onboard computer will display errors .... hope you find a solution before I do and share your experience, in the meantime, still driving around is those pathetic pitiful halogen bulbs ...

Originally Posted by 450Boss
How much will that be? I just want a plug and play solution to this issue..yes I do have stock halogen bulb unfortunately .....a brand new corolla comes with xenon headlamps or a new Sentra eh...and 60 + thousand MB comes with halogen shame, there’s more on that discussion in my other thread.

@azn was not directed to you just stating in general. could you pm me some more details are thank you