GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Need advice from metro Detroit folks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Need advice from metro Detroit folks

Hi .. due to the slight snow this weekend, while I was stopped at the entrance of my subdivision trying to make a right turn, a neighbor couldn't stop in time behind me. She clipped my rear right passenger bumper. It broke the reflector, bumper sagged a little and some scuffs on the corner. I suspect she wasn't paying attention. After all it is a subdivision road and she could have easily either turn completely into the neighbor's lawn or just go to the other side of the road.

Anyway, since I've broad form collision, and it's not my fault, I don't have to pay any deductible. In my 20+ years of driving, this is my second accident so I don't know many places to bring the car for repair. Any suggestions?

The insurance company provided a few names, but most are independent ones (smaller operation) or chain ones (Service King) or other dealerships repair such as Suburban Collision (Troy) as well as Chrysler Golling (on Telegraph). Should I just bring it to the Mercedes dealer then? The Mercedes dealership in Bloomfield doesn't have a good review either. Or some of those independent European dealers like Autohaus, Auto Europe, Steve European Auto etc.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Service King in Pontiac is Mercedes Certified - meaning Mercedes elite approved - frankly that's a very good thing for you.

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
jlim (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 AM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Service King in Pontiac is Mercedes Certified - meaning Mercedes elite approved - frankly that's a very good thing for you.

Keep the beat !
Hi Fabbrisd1, thanks for the info. Is it this certification?

>>
Service King of Pontiac South has Gold Class Certification from I-CAR, making it an elite collision repair center. Only around 10% of collision repair centers in the U.S. are Gold Class certified.
<<

I was initiallly reluctant to do with Service King mainly coz' it is a chain (or perhaps franchised operations -- I didn't check) and reviews were so so. Also the few close to me that I looked at, they are all claiming to be Gold Glass Cert from I-CAR. I suspect each and every one of them will claim so. But it is good to have some options.

What about this place? https://www.gerbercollision.com

Can you find anything in your system to see if they are also "Mercedes Certified"? They also claim to have Gold Class Cert as well. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Mercedes certified collision centers are listed on MBUSA.com and I believe that is what Fab is referring to. This accident will diminish your vehicle's value. After the work is done you should have your/the adjuster do a diminished value assessment as well. The insurer will have to pay you that $$ as well.

Originally Posted by jlim
Hi Fabbrisd1, thanks for the info. Is it this certification?

>>
Service King of Pontiac South has Gold Class Certification from I-CAR, making it an elite collision repair center. Only around 10% of collision repair centers in the U.S. are Gold Class certified.
<<

I was initiallly reluctant to do with Service King mainly coz' it is a chain (or perhaps franchised operations -- I didn't check) and reviews were so so. Also the few close to me that I looked at, they are all claiming to be Gold Glass Cert from I-CAR. I suspect each and every one of them will claim so. But it is good to have some options.

What about this place? https://www.gerbercollision.com

Can you find anything in your system to see if they are also "Mercedes Certified"? They also claim to have Gold Class Cert as well. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:57 AM

2014 GL450
Thanks for the tip. It looks like that's the only place for me - Service King Pontiac South. Based on reviews, they were previously an outfit called Autometric and now part of Service King. Not too stellar either.

About diminished value, I had to look this up as I was aware of its existence. Based on this:

https://www.carinsurance.com/Article...lue-claim.aspx

and using the formula, I am looking at approx $0 or $600 depending on the scuff on the bumper is considered minor damage to structure and panel or not. Still good to know.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
1. Mercedes Certified Collision Centers are those select collision centers that meet Mercedes training and repair standards - and especially with Mercedes metallic's the very best way to go if you have a Mercedes Certified Collision Center available to you

2. Up to this year - any insurance claim for damage repair showed up on CarFax as "Accident" - and that "Accident" record diminishes value as compared to comparable used vehicle that does not have Accident record. Starting earlier this year CarFax now has a "Minor Damage" category - so the "diminished value" might not be as severe.

I wouldn't take misc internet comments about any particular collision shop to heart - frankly - collision repair is a beasty business - it takes training and experience. I have a Mercedes Certified Collision center as part of our auto group in my area - and my guys are the only one within 300 miles in any direction - I am proud of my guys that professional work hard for to maintain that MB Certification -
Old 12-14-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
GLC300 (GL350-gone)
the old autometric on telegraph at orchard lake, the southern of the two new service kings nearest orchard lake, is THE place for you. see Mike van loo, call ahead, mention the Musts.
We're a no fault state, dismiss the thought about diminished value and just move on.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by mustbebenz
the old autometric on telegraph at orchard lake, the southern of the two new service kings nearest orchard lake, is THE place for you. see Mike van loo, call ahead, mention the Musts.
We're a no fault state, dismiss the thought about diminished value and just move on.
That's where I'm headed today for them to look it over and send the info to the insurance company.