GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Contemplating Suvs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Tahoe
Contemplating Suvs

First post in the forum sorry for the length:
I'm coming from a 2007 Chevy Tahoe Ltz and I'm in the market for another large but more premium suv and I have come down to either a 2014 Gl350 or a 2014 Infiniti qx60. I have been researching both cars extensively and I know what I want as far as options go. I like the Infiniti because I can get one similarly optioned with lower mileage for the same price as the Benz, but the Gls interior is more refined and offers more for a little bit more money. I especially like the appeal of the Diesel for the mpg. Anyone have opinion on what makes the GL better or worth buying? Additionally has anyone had any very costly issues with the GL?

Last edited by BigBenzfanatic; 01-06-2018 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
I came from a 2005 Grand Cherokee. We needed a 3 row SUV to haul kids around and also needed it to be able to tow a 6000lb camper. The V8 Jeep was rated for 6500 lbs but it STRUGGLED. A low of smaller, weaker SUVs didn't make my list due to my towing needs. The QX60 is only rated at something like 3500lbs. Other SUVs on our list included the Sequoia, Tahoe, Yukon. We both fell in love the GL350 immediately after we drove it, especially my wife.

We've had a few issues to fix. My kids use the folding 2nd row and 3rd rows multiple times every day. The 3rd row seats have given us issues twice. The first time the motor in one of them was replaced. The second time they just won't fold at all. Haven't resolved that yet. The second row electric fold up seat on one side is slow to fold and sounds odd. The rear window wiper will also rotate so it wipes beyond the window edge. None of this is covered under the CPO warranty and nothing is cheap to fix on a Mercedes. We also learned that the "performance" tires that come with the GL are awful in the snow and we dished out for some dedicated snow tires/rims. We also just recently learned that the GL350 is not immune to diesel gelling issues in the extreme cold. My diesel VW is more immune. Our GL froze up and I had to get it towed to a friend's garage to warm it up so it would start. 8 fl oz of additive in the fuel has fixed that issue.

On the positive side, the GL350 is a great car to drive. It looks great, is classy, quiet, smooth, and is VERY comfortable. Fuel economy is great in the GL350. Towing is fantastic. It tows the camper with ease. I also like the size of the GL350. It is large enough for our needs but it isn't massive like a Yukon XL. It is easy to park and maneuver - even without the surround view camera.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Give the GL 450 from 2013 or 2014 a try. That V8 makes the diesel in the 350 feel like a 4 banger. Plus, it is the exact same motor that is in the GL 550, except detuned. A $1000 tune brings that motor into GL 63 territory. The GL 450 is a massive upgrade from the 350 for very little extra money.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350
Originally Posted by DaveW68
Give the GL 450 from 2013 or 2014 a try. That V8 makes the diesel in the 350 feel like a 4 banger. Plus, it is the exact same motor that is in the GL 550, except detuned. A $1000 tune brings that motor into GL 63 territory. The GL 450 is a massive upgrade from the 350 for very little extra money.
Have you ever driven a GL350? The power and torque is awesome. I don't feel that the GL350 is a lower end model compared to the GL450. I think it depends on what you want in your SUV.

I went looking for a CPO GL450. My local dealer had one at their secondary lot and we had to drive a 2014 GL350 to get to the lot. The torque delivery of the GL350 is so smooth and effortless. It feels like it is barely putting out any effort. RPMs are low and civilized. Effortless movement. No feel of turbo lag. When we drove the GL450, both the wife and I were let down... especially during city driving. It was nice but we both preferred the diesel engine. We felt the turbo lag in the 450 and it was shifting too frequently. I'm sure I would have loved the turbo V8 gas of the 450 during "spirited driving" but that's not what we bought the truck for. We bought it as a family truckster not a race car. Still, it moves VERY well. Add in the fantastic fuel economy (high 20s on the highway is easily achievable) and it is a great fit for our needs.

I'm sure some people here will disagree with my impressions. I highly suggest any prospective buyer to drive both and decide for themselves.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 476 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by BoboPFunk
Have you ever driven a GL350? The power and torque is awesome. I don't feel that the GL350 is a lower end model compared to the GL450. I think it depends on what you want in your SUV.

I went looking for a CPO GL450. My local dealer had one at their secondary lot and we had to drive a 2014 GL350 to get to the lot. The torque delivery of the GL350 is so smooth and effortless. It feels like it is barely putting out any effort. RPMs are low and civilized. Effortless movement. No feel of turbo lag. When we drove the GL450, both the wife and I were let down... especially during city driving. It was nice but we both preferred the diesel engine. We felt the turbo lag in the 450 and it was shifting too frequently. I'm sure I would have loved the turbo V8 gas of the 450 during "spirited driving" but that's not what we bought the truck for. We bought it as a family truckster not a race car. Still, it moves VERY well. Add in the fantastic fuel economy (high 20s on the highway is easily achievable) and it is a great fit for our needs.

I'm sure some people here will disagree with my impressions. I highly suggest any prospective buyer to drive both and decide for themselves.
Yep....I drove the GL 350 before I drove the GL 550. I was coming out of an S600 (I like power), so the 350 felt like a rabid dog to me as the acceleration felt identical to my wife's Honda Odyssey. I guess if you're using it primarily as a family hauler, it'll be OK. As soon as I hopped in the GL 550, it felt like a world of difference compared to the 350. Acceleration isn't even in the same league. Even the 2015+ GL 450's with the 3 L turbo 6 feel significantly stronger than the diesels.