GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Simple wiper questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450
Simple wiper questions

Normally with other cars, I simply buy the wipers from Costco (Good Year ones). Since I was buying from stuff from Amazon, I decided to order these. (26 and 22):

Amazon Amazon

However, I'm noticing they are quite loud and I don't recall the OEM ones being that loud. Searching the forum and found someone recommending the Bosch ICON. Anyone else experiencing this? Is the OEM one generally quieter? I even clean the glass as well.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Oem from dealer are the worst piece of garbage you can get. Cheap Crap. Stick with bosch Icon
Old 01-22-2018, 04:24 PM

2014 GL450
Are you using the Bosch ICON in 28” and 24”? Amazon is saying neither 28/24 nor 26/22 fits the GL.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I take the rubber off the Bosch and put it on the MB wiper arm. The rubber on the MB wipers is what is bad. The arms are good so I remove the bad rubber and install the rubber from the bosch icon. I have an E350 2014 but just get the right length of icons and remove and install
Old 01-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 - GL 550
I too struggled a lot on the noisy wipers in my GL and it was worst on OEM wipers and any other brand. Bosci Icon is the one to go with it last longer and is quieter than any other brand or oem wipers.
just google it and you will find it, even autozone sells it just have to get it shipped to your local store.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 08:31 PM

2014 GL450
Weird. Even Bosch says the ICON are not compatible.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...n-wiper-blades

They are saying this is compatible.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...tId=3397007854
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 366 Posts
2015 S550
The best wiper blades on the market for cleanest streak free swipe, quiet operation, and lasting durability are the PIAA Si-Tech blades. They are a bit pricey, but they last at least twice as long as regular blades and perform better than all others. Plus, you're putting them on an expensive Benz....so spending a little more for top quality should be a no-brainer. I got hooked on these blades with my S-600 and have never looked back. Now they go on all of our vehicles.

Part numbers for the blades are 97055 (22") and 97065 (26").

Last edited by DaveW68; 01-23-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:02 AM

2014 GL450
Originally Posted by dbldpr
I take the rubber off the Bosch and put it on the MB wiper arm. The rubber on the MB wipers is what is bad. The arms are good so I remove the bad rubber and install the rubber from the bosch icon. I have an E350 2014 but just get the right length of icons and remove and install
I was able to remove the 3 clips + end cap, but not the middle connector part. Seems I have to pry really hard to pop off the connector if that is even possible. Anyway, returning the Michelin's I bought from Amazon. Costco's GoodYear now is just the Hybrid version that are not single piece blade assembly but rather arms. So, that's a no go as well.

Since Bosch itself says ICON are not compatible, I'll try the PIAA as suggested.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by jlim
I was able to remove the 3 clips + end cap, but not the middle connector part. Seems I have to pry really hard to pop off the connector if that is even possible. Anyway, returning the Michelin's I bought from Amazon. Costco's GoodYear now is just the Hybrid version that are not single piece blade assembly but rather arms. So, that's a no go as well.

Since Bosch itself says ICON are not compatible, I'll try the PIAA as suggested.
Hey. I use the Bosch aerotwin and am very happy with their performance.

They come in a set of two and work great for what I need them for, which is no streaking and no noise.

I found the Bosch ones were much better than the Valeo brand.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by jlim
II'll try the PIAA as suggested.
Be sure to use the wipes that come with the wipers to treat your windshield and wiper blades prior to use (instructions come with them). It makes for a perfect wipe every time. A little bit of the silicon from the wipers leaves an invisible film on the windshield that makes water bead right off. It works just like Rain-x without ever having to purchase Rain-x. You can actually drive without using the wipers very much in the rain due to the rain not sticking to the windshield.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DaveW68
Be sure to use the wipes that come with the wipers to treat your windshield and wiper blades prior to use (instructions come with them). It makes for a perfect wipe every time. A little bit of the silicon from the wipers leaves an invisible film on the windshield that makes water bead right off. It works just like Rain-x without ever having to purchase Rain-x. You can actually drive without using the wipers very much in the rain due to the rain not sticking to the windshield.

Dave is it really worth the extra money? I saw the piaa blades are like 30$ more.

Although if they work that's awesome.

I put a ceramic cquartz coating on the gl last year and covered the windshield as well and rain flies off now!

It's amazing!
Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 S550
Originally Posted by kombifan

Dave is it really worth the extra money? I saw the piaa blades are like 30$ more.

Although if they work that's awesome.

I put a ceramic cquartz coating on the gl last year and covered the windshield as well and rain flies off now!

It's amazing!
You can find them for less than that if you hunt around. Those wipers are definitely worth the little extra cost over the Bosch as they last a lot longer and give the Rain-x effect.

I've been considering doing the ceramic coating to my rig. A local guy who everybody raves about charges $2200 to do the full paint prep and ceramic coat the entire vehicle including paint, wheels, & glass. It comes with a 4 year warranty. I believe it takes around 3 days to do the entire job. But $2200 seems a bit pricey to me. I'd be most concerned about the dealer running it through a car wash after I specifically told them not to. From what I understand, the ceramic will resist swirls from car washes, but they can still show up. Please tell me about your experience with ceramic coating.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can find them for less than that if you hunt around. Those wipers are definitely worth the little extra cost over the Bosch as they last a lot longer and give the Rain-x effect.

I've been considering doing the ceramic coating to my rig. A local guy who everybody raves about charges $2200 to do the full paint prep and ceramic coat the entire vehicle including paint, wheels, & glass. It comes with a 4 year warranty. I believe it takes around 3 days to do the entire job. But $2200 seems a bit pricey to me. I'd be most concerned about the dealer running it through a car wash after I specifically told them not to. From what I understand, the ceramic will resist swirls from car washes, but they can still show up. Please tell me about your experience with ceramic coating.
I ended up doing the paint correction because I noticed how many swirl marks and love marks had been inadvertently added to the car over the years.

Nothing drastic, but love marks that happen; as weve always made sure that there has been no damage whatsoever to the car.

I was able to get a paint correction service scheduled done for around 325..I think a fair price for that service might be 4-500...which was really great value for the size of the car and the amount of work that went into the car.
it took the guys about 6 hours to do the entire car, buffing and claying the car to ensure that the paint was clean and smooth.

The paint and the clear coat on our gls are hard and require some effort to cut through, but the full paint correction is definitely worth the process after a couple of years.
The buffing process got out all visible scratches and swirl marks and really brought out the deep black that was missing and dulled over the years.

After, the detailer recommended using carpro cquartz UK ceramic coating. I got my kit off Amazon for 89.95 which included all the items needed to apply the coating.
I think my kit was the 30ml kit which was enough for 2-3 coatings for 3 cars.

The coating works great. Dirt and water fly off and the car definitely stats cleaner for longer.
Water flys off the windshield and body and it has definitely protected the paint even more so.
Strangely enough, if there is a really heavy rain storm the car will look as if you washed it, that's how great the coating works.

Applying does take some patience.
Yiu have to apply panel by panel and remove the coating within the flashing period with a clean microfiber cloth. It will take about an hour to do the entire car and it has to be done in the shade, and let to bake in the sun when finished to cure the coating.

Also avoiding water for at least 24 hours is advisable as water spots might become permanent if they do appear.

For what i paid I would definitely do it again.
The paint correction I couldn't do myself on the gl. It takes a lot of work and it really looks amazing once finished and really needs to be done professionally.

The cquartz though is something you can diy....

And really looks amazing once done.
The following users liked this post:
DaveW68 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And yes the dealer will run your car through the car wash unless you specifically tell them not to every single time you go for service.

The gl went through its first car wash recently just because it was too cold...too much salt on the car and it was too convenient to get it run through.

But every other time at service I've asked to get it handwashed. Which if you have a nice sa...Will be free

Swirls will show up in time anyways...and it also depends on how aggressive and patient your detailer is in the paint correction.
Getting to 85% took my detailer 6 hours.
He told me if I want 90-95% it would take another 12 or so.....

It really does take a lot of work for a showroom car show finish.

I didn't do the wheels though. I use akebono
Pads and they already have very little dust anyways.