GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

No Start - GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Angry No Start - GL450

My Battery was low and as a result I didn't know the car would start doing weird things like opening windows and letting snow and rain in, so now my lights went crazy had water at the battery compartment. I kept smelling like wire burning smell of some sort so once I figured it was the battery I immediately replaced it dried out the battery compartment. but now my passenger side marker light wont shut off so I (THINK) some how the lighting wiring shorted so I had to disconnect the marker light but now I want to fix it. and cannot find the wiring run...and the car will not start in the morning but once jumped it will run fine for the day...anyone have suggestions or ideas how to find the wiring path so I can inspect the wiring to see what might have actually might have burned? and suggestions to see exactly which circuit might be draining the battery over night? any help would be appreciated......
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
I'll address just your last point about what circuit may be draining the battery overnight.

We park our GL550 in an insulated garage in a quiet neighborhood so for all intents and purposes the garage is silent. We hear lots of noises from our GL550 when it is parked ... all of which indicates battery use.

Of particular concern are fans running in the passenger compartment. They are loud enough to be heard outside the vehicle, but stop running if a door is opened. It's a bit of a game ... listen for fan noise, open the door to confirm it, but the fan immediately shuts down. Leaving windows open helps track down the sound, but that is only practical in a closed and secure garage.

Presumably, the fans are part of the climate control system as they are louder inside the cabin, which makes the problem worse ... you would not want to deactivate your climate control system every night and have to re-activate it every morning.

Although we've not had a dead battery yet, we're sufficiently concerned about this to connect the vehicle to a 'trickle' charger if it will be parked for more than a few days.