GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Bluetec - DPF - Cleaning

Old 07-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
Bluetec - DPF - Cleaning

I had a check engine light occurrence on my way back from Myrtle Beach the other night. So I looked at the worst case scenario which is DPF replacement. Well it seems that is not necessary unless the "cells" are damaged. One can have their DPF removed or with just the exhaust attached to the DPF removed, cleaned via air or water (which is said to be the better route) for about $500 or less (doesn't include labor to remove the exhaust or DPF from from the vehicle). I did a quick online search locally and saw about 4 shops that do this work. Is that hope for Bluetec'rs repair budget? Has anyone heard of this process before?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by DC-BENZ
I had a check engine light occurrence on my way back from Myrtle Beach the other night. So I looked at the worst case scenario which is DPF replacement. Well it seems that is not necessary unless the "cells" are damaged. One can have their DPF removed or with just the exhaust attached to the DPF removed, cleaned via air or water (which is said to be the better route) for about $500 or less (doesn't include labor to remove the exhaust or DPF from from the vehicle). I did a quick online search locally and saw about 4 shops that do this work. Is that hope for Bluetec'rs repair budget? Has anyone heard of this process before?
The dpf cleaning process you've described is common on class eight (big) trucks. Other than its much larger size the truck dpf is nearly identical in form and function to the automobile component.

Many larger truck dealers possess special equipment dedicated to cleaning the dpf. The process usually takes about a day. This usually restores the dpf to about 95 to 98% efficiency.