GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

engine control module contamination

Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl350 bluetec
engine control module contamination

Hey - thanks for the time. i got a tale to tell. back in february my 2013 gl350 bluetec started to leak oil. went to the dealer from where I bought the GL from...small shop... opened it up and replaced the oil cooler. thought everything was good til a month later just started to die randomly. and finally it died. wouldnt start. i didnt want to take it back to the shop and so opted to go to a mercedes dealership. at first they couldnt figure out why it was dying.. $300 charge. initial diagnosis. next up was they said had to open up the engine to figure out the cost. $3000 cost. because of the amount of intensive labor required. i had a 3rd party warranty and figured ok fine and i was tired of the other shop. mercedes said it was the timing chain was stretched..thats they engine wouldn't crank. that fix was $6000 but the labor costs would be absorbed into that. and my 3rd party warranty covered only 2k of that. bah. truck would now start and the minute they took it onto the road it died. fuel injector in bank 5 was out. got that replaced on the house. now we are almost in June and the truck is still in the shop. after some more questions as to why they werent ready ...mercedes said they were doing some remodeling so they haven't had time to work on my gl350. finally after some pressure to the service manager and GM they started to work on it. now another fuel injector was shown as dead. so that was replaced. and now at this point the gl350 was driveable...however once they hit around 4000 RPMs engine would die. they noticed that the engine control module was contaminated with oil and as well as the wiring harness. the fix for that is $6000. At this point I opted out. I couldn't deal with the costs. I thought maybe I could survive staying under 4000RPMs but after going 2 miles it died under 2000RPMs. I left it in my friends driveway. Now trying to see if it's worth fixing these latest issues or just dump and cut my losses....which would be about 15k. I could try looking at another garage and trying to find a lower cost but I'm not sure what else could go wrong with it after that. At this point I am thinking of just taking the loss...which would be a huge hit. I'm at a complete loss here. any thoughts and/or suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL and ML350 Bluetec
Strange that oil is in the ECU. Where is it located?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 PM

gl350 bluetec
they didnt specify the location of the contamination. i just dont know that this will fix it for sure. spending 6k and then seeing that something is still wrong will be the worst.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM

gl350 bluetec
I was wondering if I bought a used ecm from the same model type does it need to be reprogrammed? Is it necessary? or can it just work after the old one is swapped out.