GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

new owner, disappointed in tech, love the reset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 550
new owner, disappointed in tech, love the reset

coming out of an x5 with the smaller inline 6 to the x166 550 gls is a very big change. these two vehicles are in different classes. level of appointments/interior comfort much better in the MB, and of course the engine and suspension are much much better as well. what is woefully inadequate is the tech. the COMAND system needs to be ripped to shreds and torn down to be rebuilt anew. it is mind numbly inefficient. the wheels, pads, buttons are all not worthy of the rest of the platform. i suppose i could have waited for the new models to start shipping, but a major step back from the BMW system that i was not expecting. even my porsche, not well known for it's intuitive interface, has a better GUI than the COMAND system. comically bad.

does anyone else feel the same?
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Yep, painfully disappointing ... even my 2010 Bimmer had a better GUI and refinement compared to my 2013 GL450 ... still not over my halogen bulbs headlights and other peripheral lights, the front and rear perimeter sensors, the fact that I still have to check the dipstick on my oil ... ughhh let me just stop here ... still love my GL ride, but ughhhh

Originally Posted by highyo
coming out of an x5 with the smaller inline 6 to the x166 550 gls is a very big change. these two vehicles are in different classes. level of appointments/interior comfort much better in the MB, and of course the engine and suspension are much much better as well. what is woefully inadequate is the tech. the COMAND system needs to be ripped to shreds and torn down to be rebuilt anew. it is mind numbly inefficient. the wheels, pads, buttons are all not worthy of the rest of the platform. i suppose i could have waited for the new models to start shipping, but a major step back from the BMW system that i was not expecting. even my porsche, not well known for it's intuitive interface, has a better GUI than the COMAND system. comically bad.

does anyone else feel the same?

Last edited by vivaitalia; 09-19-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Traded a '13 Dodge Durango for my '14 GL450 CPO. Ride and power are great. Tech is awful. Durango seat went back and wheel went up on exit. Remote start worked like a charm. UConnect billed as one of the best tech systems and I agree. But the comfort of the GL is outstanding. Don't understand why a trailer hitch isn't standard equipment.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
It's definitely not the strength of the platform, but careful what you wish for, as the new COMAND is not that great either. Granted the content is there, but the interface and ergonomics are just dreadful. I've used the COMAND system in some form or another for about the last 10 years and its grown on me or I've just gotten used to it. The iDrive in the BMW is hands down a better system.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Each to their own.... CarPlay with Comand is quite effective ... the Mercedes handsfree system maintains (or actually improves) Siri effectiveness with quite solid voice recognition at highway speeds ..... and once owner's find their console button accessibility mode changes ... all to the good !

If you are "accustomed" to the "logic" in the infortinment control system from one manufacturer - yes it take times and experience to change over and be as comfortable with another manufacturer's system.

I drove a X5 rental for a week in August - and frankly I was frustrated with that - if for not other reason couldn't see the Nav button on the "X-Control" in the console from normal driving position.... to me coming from my MB side.. yeh, I was very frustrated but I was renting that BMW - for you guys that bought your MB - put your dealer's concierge to work and get comfortable with COMAND...
Old 09-30-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
I couldn't figure out how to get AM radio in a 2017 3-series, so it goes both ways, whatever you're used to feels best.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by mekantor
I couldn't figure out how to get AM radio in a 2017 3-series, so it goes both ways, whatever you're used to feels best.
my 2008 BMW 5 series had better tech. the interface is slow and confusing and the pad/wheel/buttons are just slapdash and not well thought out. it may be my opinion, but its way way behind even porsche who are not well known to really care about this stuff.

fit and finish otherwise is pretty decent
Old 10-02-2018, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350, 2015 750i
Originally Posted by highyo
what is woefully inadequate is the tech. the COMAND system needs to be ripped to shreds and torn down to be rebuilt anew.
At first I laughed because I thought you were inferring that the BMW tech was better but then I reread your post and saw that you were only commenting on MB. MB tech is not great but having recently owned a 2012 X5 35D and currently driving a 2015 750i, the tech in my 2015 GL350 is a step up. It's not that the tech in the BMW sucks because it's lacking because many of the features are there. It's just that many features are either disabled or have inexplicably stupid defaults with no way to change them (other than to possible recode):

- Mirrors don't fold after locking.
- Can't close trunk/liftgate from key fob or footwell switch.
- Audio stays on even after turning off car and opening door. You have to press stop button again or lock car to turn off audio.
- Audio volume reset to low after restarting car.
- Can't roll up windows with key fob but you can open all of them with the key fob in your pocket without knowing it.
- Why do I have to double pull to open the door after stopping? And why won't the doors unlock when I open the driver's door?
- X5 would frequently have problems reconnecting to iPod. X5 and 750 have occasional problems reconnecting to bluetooth audio. GL has never had problem with iPod or bluetooth audio.
- Backup camera video is very dim at night on light color cars because light from license plate lighting up rear bumper makes camera think there's enough light! Putting a piece of electrical tape over rear camera lens to obscure bumper fixed the problem!

That's just off the top of my head. Fortunately, many annoyances can be fixed by coding but there's still the few irritating annoyances that can't be recoded (can't permanently turn on rain sensor, can't permanently turn on automatic brights, won't show current song playing for bluetooth or iPod audio source after car has been restarted). I would think many of these annoyances have been corrected in current BMWs. The GL has its own shortcomings of course like seat and infotainment settings not tied to key fob and you have to hold down seat memory button to adjust seat.

Despite these annoyances I did love the X5 though and the 750 is a joy to drive. However, the GL will be my last Mercedes. Why? Because during the summer the damn AC smells like an old sock and Mercedes solution to that is to tell me to circulate the air or turn on the heater 10 minutes before I get home.

Last edited by chinhster; 10-02-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2003 E55 AMG; 2013 GL550 4Matic; 2003 CL600
Despite these annoyances I did love the X5 though and the 750 is a joy to drive. However, the GL will be my last Mercedes. Why? Because during the summer the damn AC smells like an old sock and Mercedes solution to that is to tell me to circulate the air or turn on the heater 10 minutes before I get home.
Assuming the filters are good, there might be a blockage in the AC condenser drainage. I've seen that occur on Toyotas, heavy AC use causes a condensation drip on the passenger floor mat, which ends up stinking.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL350, 2015 750i
Originally Posted by mekantor
Assuming the filters are good, there might be a blockage in the AC condenser drainage. I've seen that occur on Toyotas, heavy AC use causes a condensation drip on the passenger floor mat, which ends up stinking.
It's a common problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...sty-smell.html

I live in Texas. A friend in town has a GL350 too with the exact same problem. During the first summer that I had it and discovered the smell, I asked my friend and she confirmed it and thought it was just her car that did it. I took it to the dealership multiple times where they attempted multiple things that worked for just a few weeks. They finally told me nothing more can be done, it was normal, other cars smell, and to just run the heater for several minutes after I get home. I told them it may happen to other cars too but it's not supposed to smell that bad. What ultimately worked OK was their suggestion to recirculate the air whenever I think about it.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:41 PM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by chinhster
It's a common problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...sty-smell.html

I live in Texas. A friend in town has a GL350 too with the exact same problem. During the first summer that I had it and discovered the smell, I asked my friend and she confirmed it and thought it was just her car that did it. I took it to the dealership multiple times where they attempted multiple things that worked for just a few weeks. They finally told me nothing more can be done, it was normal, other cars smell, and to just run the heater for several minutes after I get home. I told them it may happen to other cars too but it's not supposed to smell that bad. What ultimately worked OK was their suggestion to recirculate the air whenever I think about it.
i wonder if they fixed this with the 18 models. so far so good from my end, but im only 5,000 miles in. i had this issue with my e60 bmw. it was disgusting