GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Driving Assistance Errors When Its Cold Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GLS63
Driving Assistance Errors When Its Cold Out

Hi all

Ive started getting occassional error messages for the various driver assistance features on my GL63 when its cold outside now that winters coming, could be park assist unavailable or high beam assistance unavailable, happens on cold start and sometimes comes back on after a few mins of driving then doesnt appear anymore that day or several days then another cold night can cause a message to pop up again, could this be the secondary battery starting to show its 5 year age?

Its not really a problem at the moment, but with much colder weather coming I dont want to run the roulette of a dead battery if it is that causing these messages?

Thanks

Carl
​​​​​​
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
Could just be sensors going bad, if under warranty have them test drive and see if any bad values come up.

i had a radar sensor replaced
Old 12-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Thumbs up Distronic Sensors

I had this issue intermittently as well (albeit on a 2011 E550 4-Matic [W212]). The culprit usually is accumulated dust/dirt/ice/snow/etc. in front of/around the sensors that read the road. They are in the housing directly above the rear-view mirror facing the front windshield. There are also sensors for the automatic headlamp high/low beam function in the headlamps themselves. A quick squeegee of the windshield and the headlamps and that usually solves 90% of those issues. If that doesn't work then sometimes dust can accumulate between the line of sight between the windshield and the sensor itself, that's about another 9%. The last 1% is a bad sensor, or if you have had your windshield replaced then they have to re-calibrate the sensor given the movement of the glass and whatnot. I hope this helps.