GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL550 1 bald tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
GL550 1 bald tire?

I bought this car in June with new Pirelli tires. 3 tires are in “like” new condition. The rear passenger side is bald down to the threads. We put 9000 miles on the car. It is driven by my wife only, just soccer mom type stuff. Any ideas? Under warranty. I asked the dealer service guy and he said he has never heard of any issues that would cause this.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 363 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by GL550603
I bought this car in June with new Pirelli tires. 3 tires are in “like” new condition. The rear passenger side is bald down to the threads. We put 9000 miles on the car. It is driven by my wife only, just soccer mom type stuff. Any ideas? Under warranty. I asked the dealer service guy and he said he has never heard of any issues that would cause this.
The dealer likely changed out 3 tires prior to you buying it. The other tire that is now bald was probably within specs at the time you bought it (5-6/32nds) and with 9k more miles is worn out. So that one was likely never changed out by the dealer. The other 3 are likely not "like new" with 9k miles on them. If you pulled out a tire gauge on the middle or inside treads, my guess would be that you have no more than 5-6/32nd's on them. One way to tell if the 3 were swapped and the worn was left on for sure is to compare the tire date on all 4 tires. I bet the worn tire is at least a year older than the other 3.

The dealer put 4 brand new Conti's on my truck just before I purchased it last December. With 9000 miles on those tires, they are down to around 5/32nds. These heavy trucks eat tires quickly.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
GL550's are "tire eater's" due to low profile tires and substantial/heavy truck - "normal" replacemeent can be about 10K-12K miles or so for "spirited" driving as compared to "grandma" driving.

On the one passenger rear tire wearing more - can be rear alignment if wear started uneven - can be "active lane assist" if your wife has that feature activated - we have area's in my region which are curvy two lanes roads - where it is common to "cut line's" - and active lane assist would kick in and owner would steer/override...

Where you are at on the other side on remaining tread - and what is remaining on the fronts - would bring up two or four replacements - would advise rear alignment - and on replacement tire have the shop "bump up" tire pressure on new by about 2PSI and see if that handling is acceptable and will help a bit on tread life for the 2nd set..

I have had cases where have moved my "female" drivers from 550 to their next GL as a loaded 450 - gives them smaller wheels with taller sidewall - smoother for them..
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts
S 550
You can check the production dates on the tires and see if the other 3 are all the same and the worn one is older. I would bet that this would be the case.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by GL550603
Originally Posted by Jim Ma
You can check the production dates on the tires and see if the other 3 are all the same and the worn one is older. I would bet that this would be the case.
Spot on! I would have never thought of that. The bald tire has a manufacture date from 2015, the others 2017. Unreal, from a Mercedes dealer on a CPO vehicle. They advertised it with new tires, I feel cheated. Thank you for the post!