GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Do you really off road?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Tucson Ultimate
Do you really off road?

Looking for people who have really pushed their GL off road, I live in Utah and love to get out for a weekend or day trip, I got rid of my truck (z71 Sierra) and we are looking to trade in my wife’s Tucson ultimate (couldn’t tow a garbage can) to bring it down to one payment for a car we can keep for 10 years. I like the gl and she is willing to upsize because of how well it handles compared to the Toyota and gm products. But how good is it really off road? Has anyone really tested it in more then mud ruts and dirt roads? I am likely to wait for a gl550 in my area with the on and off road package. Not much out there on YouTube beside a few guided tours or car reviews that touch on light off-roaring. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Here in Florida, I just take mine to camp sites with minimal rough terrain, being mindful of getting stuck in swampy areas ... I'd love to take my GL450 into the desert and mountains of Colorado and Utah, but would only venture into "known" moderate terrain ... even with the GL raised to it's height (which isn't much), I would not risk my GL on anything but moderate "predictable" terrain ... share pictures, videos, and experiences if you do :-)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL550 Wife, LS460 & LC Mine

This subject has been covered under previous posts but I'll put my 2 cents in again. The GL is a hard vehicle to modify. I couldn't find offroad tires/wheels suitable, no lift kits, armor skids, etc. If you are wheeling around Utah, think MOAB, you will need all of those items to prevent damage. And then you added a 10 year requirement. I'll get flamed for this, but that turns the arrow towards a Toyota. I have a GL550 and a Land Cruiser. Long trips on the highway, GL only. Offroad adventures, Land Cruiser only. The Land Cruiser is a truck and drives like one. I'm hoping to get 15 years out of mine.
I did see a pretty custom ML350. A little smaller but this thing looked like it could go anywhere.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
DAMN, that looks awesome.

But he's right. Go Toyota land Cruiser (or FJ if you don't need much interior room), or go MB G-Wagen if you have the bucks....
Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Tucson Ultimate
I am not car shy and that is why I am okay with how fast these go through brakes and the other things that are likely to wear. Reason one is my wife only puts on eight thousand miles a year on her Tucson that includes a yearly trip from UT to MN. (80,000 miles in ten years makes it plausible for the gl in my opinion)I like the looks and have read where a few people have gone down to a smaller wheel an put on a big set of BFG k02 tires which I had run on my truck and loved. Big reason I prefer the gl is because it makes a really good pavement queen and my wife will be the main one to drive it after that, I have a articat prowler (older rzr equivalent) to go crawling if I choose to. But I like to go off the beaten path and heaven knows when wheeling around I will get in places that a Regular full size SUV shouldn’t go. I know I am going over things that have been said a million times. That M looks good and I am sure it will crawl wherever it needs to