GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Trailer hitch installation..

Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
Trailer hitch installation..

Hello, I'm about to pull the trigger on a GL450 that doesn't come with the Hitch package. I've seen several used hitches on eBay. What would be the proper labor charge for the install of the hitch and/or wiring?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
John Bollow (11-09-2020)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:16 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
From the other thread it appears that you are specifically interested in towing.

Just buy a GL with the factory towing package. Seriously.

It will save you a mountain of grief, the install (including wiring) will be perfect, and the truck's stability control will have programming for when a trailer is attached.

There are dozens (hundreds?) of threads here about aftermarket towing setups. (It's one of the most common questions/regrets, along with headlight upgrades.)

You are not in that position since you have not pulled the trigger. Save yourself the hassle and get the right truck for you.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 05-31-2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
91senna (06-01-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
From the other thread it appears that you are specifically interested in towing.

Just buy a GL with the factory towing package. Seriously.

It will save you a mountain of grief, the install (including wiring) will be perfect, and the truck's stability control will have programming for when a trailer is attached.

There are dozens (hundreds?) of threads here about aftermarket towing setups. (It's one of the most common questions/regrets, along with headlight upgrades.)

You are not in that position since you have not pulled the trigger. Save yourself the hassle and get the right truck for you.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve looked further into the subject. Trailer I’m planning on pulling will be about 6,500lbs double axle with brakes. Talked to a local hitch installer and they recommend go with aftermarket hitch that can be welded onto frame. They don’t trust the oem bolt on hitch. And since I have to deal with trailer brakes I thought might be better to start with a GL450 with no hitch. 🤔
hoping someone with experience can chime in.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - "seriously" look for GL with Factory Trailer Hitch package since that is the TOP VALUE as pointed out when you plug-in your trailer to the GL - with the factory hitch that integrates into the GL's driving systems - importantly the GL's ESP for anti-see-saw and turn-curve-stability.

To install a MB hitch-kit-with-harness into a GL without a factory installed hith - will be $900-$1100 for MB hitch with MB harness - then "about" 8 full genuine shop hrs for install of that wiring harness.

On your "hitch shop" - frankly you shouldn't need to ever talk to them again - since what they told you is 1000% "bullsh*t" - they "don't trust" MB factory GL hitch - what a crock on that one - "aftermarket hitch that can be welded to the frame" - another crock - they 100%/positively/absolutely know nothing about the factory GL hitch system - if you challenge them on that - sit back while they invent some longer "bullsh*t" story... they would use a Curt hitch - bolt it on - put a couple of tack welds - then use a Modulite relay connection for the trailer electrics - something a U-Haul would do (without the tack welds) for like $420 total - but you will not have the factory electrical integration/safety-systems - and this "expert" shop will probably soak you for $800-$900.

Now - on your trailer brake controller - the MB factory trailer hitch system does have a wired-brake-controller connector in the driver area - but my opinion the "best" controllers out there now are wireless which means for controller install on GL side you just need power connection to the fuse block - that part with wireless is EZ-Pezzey..
The following 2 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
91senna (06-01-2019), cadetdrivr (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 350
I agree with what others have said. Get a GL that comes with a hitch from factory. Its a $500 option, whereas dealer install is ~ $2k.

The OEM hitch is also pretty good (I'd say one of the best on any unibody vehicle). If you look at Porsche or Audi, the hitch is attached to unibody via 8 bolts (4 on the right and 4 on the left). GL's hitch has those 8 bolts AND also 2 large support arms, that are bolted to the hitch at one end, and go into a recess in the uniboy at the other end and are bolted there. This makes for a stout hitch-unibody connection (unlike Porsche or Audi).

With OEM hitch you also have the computer reprogrammed and you get lots of goodies that you would not get with an aftermarket job. GL monitors the trailer and if it detects any sway it applies GLs brakes (independently at each wheel) to straighten out the rig. This is a major safety feature and you would not get it with an aftermarket install. Luckily, I've never had to use this this feature, but have heard its very effective.

Finally, are you really going to believe what an aftermarket hitch installer is telling you about your GL? GL is an expensive and complex piece of machinery and I am not sure ANY hitch installer would have a clue as what they are talking about. Welding a hitch would be a nightmare: You'd likely lose your warranty. You would have limited access to areas under your GL (what are you going to do if you must make a repair and the welded parts are blocking you? Remove the whole thing?). GL is not a domestic truck with a frame, its a fancy European uniboy vehicle. I would stay away from any aftermarket hitch installer.
The following 3 users liked this post by RostamDastan:
91senna (06-01-2019), cadetdrivr (06-01-2019), John Bollow (11-09-2020)
Old 06-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Now - on your trailer brake controller - the MB factory trailer hitch system does have a wired-brake-controller connector in the driver area - but my opinion the "best" controllers out there now are wireless which means for controller install on GL side you just need power connection to the fuse block - that part with wireless is EZ-Pezzey..
@fabbrisd1 ... yall got me wondering if my trailer hitch (which I've never used) is OEM or aftermarket ... LOL ... that said, what is this wired-brake-controller connector in the driver area ??? :-)
91senna (06-01-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by vivaitalia
yall got me wondering if my trailer hitch (which I've never used) is OEM or aftermarket
It's easy to find out.

Just plug your VIN into this website.

https://www.datamb.com

FWIW, the option code on my 2014 for the factory hitch is 550.
91senna (06-01-2019)