GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

new to me GL450 won't start....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
new to me GL450 won't start....

Hello, I've had the car for less than a week and have put about 700 miles on it so far. The first problem has peeked its head, I'm hoping minor. According to the service report the battery(ies) have been changed before I purchased the car. The tach guages do their starting dance but the car doesn't turn over. I'd like to mention that I was also detailing the car and left the doors open May for like an hour. Could this have drained the battery enough for it not to start? Should I try to jump it?

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
Jumped it. Problem solved
Old 06-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
Good news ... congratulations on the simplest solution to your problem!

Our GL550 'celebrated' its 4th birthday in March and we're still on the original battery. So far, so good ... but I don't expect our luck to last much longer. Here are several observations after four years of ownership:

• Our GL550 'wastes' battery power when the vehicle is parked by running interior fans. It is obvious in a quiet garage and especially when we open a door, which stops the fans, but they resume spinning when the doors are closed. Presumably, this is for air circulation to control humidity.

• We bought and use a M-B standby charger when our vehicle is parked for more than a week. The charger indicates only half a charge when it is initially connected to the charging posts under the hood. It takes overnight to raise the charge to full! Presumably, the vehicle stays undercharged during normal use, perhaps to avoid stressing the battery, which is revealed when a standby charger is connected.

• In spite of these our vehicle has never failed to start so it can't be too bad, right?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
This sometimes is the result of "training yourself" to the Keyless Go procedure. Foot-on-the-brake - push keyless go button firmly down (with foot on brake) - release button - starts up - after it starts "then" you can take your foot off brake.

Once you have it down right - it's easy - "some" folks I have seen either hold down the button too long - or pull their foot off the brake too soon.
The following users liked this post:
SaniDel (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
This sometimes is the result of "training yourself" to the Keyless Go procedure. Foot-on-the-brake - push keyless go button firmly down (with foot on brake) - release button - starts up - after it starts "then" you can take your foot off brake.

Once you have it down right - it's easy - "some" folks I have seen either hold down the button too long - or pull their foot off the brake too soon.
My wife has been there, done that, and has the T-shirt and the video.....