GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Suspension Refresh Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
1997 E420
Suspension Refresh Advice

Hey folks -- I've put a LOT of miles on my 2013 GL350, some highway miles towing my vintage airstream and then a lot of city stop and go driving too (and i can drive it pretty hard). I'm up to 165K!

Thinking it is time to refresh suspension components and I definitely can hear a clunk sometimes when accelerating from a stop (perhaps that's an engine mount?) Getting some pretty good vibrations in idle now too.

What components would you guys recommend replacing? Is there any need to replace the shocks on these or do you wait for them to fail? Is there any notification when the shocks fail or what would be the symptoms? I live in LA and every once in awhile I hit a pothole I can't avoid and it almost seems like something bottoms out but not sure.

I have a set of engine mounts on hand as I was just assuming the "clunk" was the engine mount but now I am starting to wonder about business and ball joints.

My plan I guess would be to get under there and look for problems but I'm wondering what are the most highly suspect items. And/or what are the items I should absolutely replace and which ones might be OK to check to see if they are good?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
fcpeuro has lifetime warranty on wearable parts. Sounds like engine/tranny mounts are going.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Sway bar endlinks and struts.

Maybe bushings...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,819 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Start with the easier and less expensive things.

Stabilizer bar bushings
Stabilizer bar links
Engine and transmission mounts
Shocks only if you need them
Ball joints and tie rod ends only if you need them

I have driven several vehicles over 200k miles and it’s rare to need to change the control arm bushings.

Same comment for shocks. New shocks will be a noticeable improvement, but there is a wide window of tolerance on when they need to be replaced.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W221
My front struts are going. They squeak like hell and the car inexplicable starts to slowly lower it self as soon as I turn off the engine. Sometimes, they stiffen up so much that I can feel every bump on the road. My indy mechanic says I need to replace my 2 year old Chinese struts with something better. The Mercedes reman struts are over a $1000... not an option. Can someone recomment any good aftermarket struts? I keep hearing about Arnott. My mechanic advises to go with used Mercedes struts. Here are my options:
1. Arnott Reman struts ($360)
2. Arnott New struts ($340)
3. Used Mercedes struts ($250)
4. Cheap Chinese struts from eBay ($130)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e55 amg
Originally Posted by Sumit Bhasin
My front struts are going. They squeak like hell and the car inexplicable starts to slowly lower it self as soon as I turn off the engine. Sometimes, they stiffen up so much that I can feel every bump on the road. My indy mechanic says I need to replace my 2 year old Chinese struts with something better. The Mercedes reman struts are over a $1000... not an option. Can someone recomment any good aftermarket struts? I keep hearing about Arnott. My mechanic advises to go with used Mercedes struts. Here are my options:
1. Arnott Reman struts ($360)
2. Arnott New struts ($340)
3. Used Mercedes struts ($250)
4. Cheap Chinese struts from eBay ($130)
Fcpeuro.com sells them with lifetime warranty. I’d buy the air suspension from them
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM

W221
Thanks. Just checked and they are selling BILSTEIN struts for $1400 and Arnotts for $500+. Not an option.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 GL 550
... and the car inexplicable starts to slowly lower it self as soon as I turn off the engine.
I think that is normal. Our 2015 GL550 'settles' as soon as we turn off the vehicle, exit and lock the doors even though the suspension was in the 'down' mode. We put the suspension in the 'up' mode when we back into our garage for improved visibility so it goes through the raise/lower cycle at least once a day.

Take note if the 'settling' is uniform or one end vs. the other. It may be trying to level the vehicle to compensate for uneven ground on which it is parked.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:22 PM

W221
Thanks for your response. Actually, I have a S550 but since I have a similar issue, I decided to put my questions here.

Having said that, I am confident my sedan is not supposed to "settle". It might be an SUV thing but sedans aren't raised or lowered like SUVs so I feel that possibility does not exist. When I turn off my engine, I can hear a clicking noise form the front right corner of the car, sometimes I hear a hissing sound like the struts are releasing air. But other times the struts hold their height. And sometimes, even after I start the engine, the car does not rise at all. If I start to drive, get a message saying "Car too low. Stop car". And other times, the struts go all the way up and the drive is REALLY stiff... I can feel each and every bump in the road.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Thanks for your response. Actually, I have a S550 but since I have a similar issue, I decided to put my questions here.

Having said that, I am confident my sedan is not supposed to "settle". It might be an SUV thing but sedans aren't raised or lowered like SUVs so I feel that possibility does not exist. When I turn off my engine, I can hear a clicking noise form the front right corner of the car, sometimes I hear a hissing sound like the struts are releasing air. But other times the struts hold their height. And sometimes, even after I start the engine, the car does not rise at all. If I start to drive, get a message saying "Car too low. Stop car". And other times, the struts go all the way up and the drive is REALLY stiff... I can feel each and every bump in the road.

Any suggestions?
You have most likely a leak in one of your struts. Perform the soapy water test and then report back.

Edit. I see you mentioned you have cheap chinese struts on your car. Get rid of that crap and install the arnott struts or the oe Bilstein ones. Rockauto has good pricing.
The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (06-27-2019)