GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Upgrading projector on factory HID package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 GL550
Angry Upgrading projector on factory HID package

I have a 2015 GL550 with the factory HID package. The factory HID/headlight package is by far trash compare to many other vehicles I've had.
I've replaced the factory philips bulbs to Osram CBB. Slight improvement but still terrible... I see the light dispersing to the side not the front. Driving at night requires high beams.

Question to experts here: has anyone replaced their Projectors all together? can it be done? if yes, what kind of projector do ya'll recommend and some feedback would be appreciated. I am willing to do anything here...
Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
mgLipGD
I bought new lenses 2 years ago but have never gotten around to swapping them. Feel they would help as I had them in my E. I got the ZKW-R lenses.

I should have done them last year when the car was in repair shop for 208 days from an accident. But since it always felt like it was almost complete I never asked them to give me the headlights to crack open.

I have a factory buddy who could help me pull all the stuff off to get them out again just haven’t felt the desire. Similar to you I have installed the CBA which are nice but not that nice. maybe I will soon who knows.

Last edited by black06c230; 12-08-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 PM

2015 GL550
Originally Posted by black06c230
I bought new lenses 2 years ago but have never gotten around to swapping them. Feel they would help as I had them in my E. I got the ZKW-R lenses.

I should have done them last year when the car was in repair shop for 208 days from an accident. But since it always felt like it was almost complete I never asked them to give me the headlights to crack open.

I have a factory buddy who could help me pull all the stuff off to get them out again just haven’t felt the desire. Similar to you I have installed the CBA which are nice but not that nice. maybe I will soon who knows.
thanks for the feedback. I’m going to buy these. They are cheap. Now want to know how bad is the swap lol. Can the projector components be taken out if without taking the lenses out?
Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by hambone1983
thanks for the feedback. I’m going to buy these. They are cheap. Now want to know how bad is the swap lol. Can the projector components be taken out if without taking the lenses out?
played with a broken light after our accident to practice the lens swap on the projector but over a year ago and can’t fully recall. I have done a swap before on my E but didn’t take anything out other than pop the lens. Then swapped the lens
Old 12-14-2019, 02:50 PM

2015 GL550
were your output results good?

Originally Posted by black06c230
played with a broken light after our accident to practice the lens swap on the projector but over a year ago and can’t fully recall. I have done a swap before on my E but didn’t take anything out other than pop the lens. Then swapped the lens
Old 12-14-2019, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by hambone1983
were your output results good?

oh I never had the car around to play with to power it all back up.

housing was all messed up from the accident and it took 208 days to get the car back. Long story. However I might still have the light and can swap in the lens I have and see maybe. But really think I trashed it. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I can ask my buddy there at the body shop if he has one from a ML/GL that is being replaced to let me have to play with.