GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Play movies off SD Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 550
Play movies off SD Card

Hello Guys,

I'm hoping if someone can tell me if I can play a video off of an SD Card on my 15' GL. I've been playing around and it will read the card but wont read the files. I've tried a ton of different file and video formats but no cigar. I'm hoping someone could tell me if this is possible and if so, what are the correct video and file settings. Im getting tired of switching DVDs while driving.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:34 PM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by KingLeonidas
Hello Guys,

I'm hoping if someone can tell me if I can play a video off of an SD Card on my 15' GL. I've been playing around and it will read the card but wont read the files. I've tried a ton of different file and video formats but no cigar. I'm hoping someone could tell me if this is possible and if so, what are the correct video and file settings. Im getting tired of switching DVDs while driving.
It's possible, I've done it in my '13. I don't remember the video formats (and codecs) offhand, but I used Handbrake on my computer and converted the movies to a format listed in the manual.

Note that unless you get a "video in motion" hack for your Comand unit, it only works while the vehicle is parked.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:52 PM

2015 GL 550
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
It's possible, I've done it in my '13. I don't remember the video formats (and codecs) offhand, but I used Handbrake on my computer and converted the movies to a format listed in the manual.

Note that unless you get a "video in motion" hack for your Comand unit, it only works while the vehicle is parked.
With the SD Card movies, can you still watch them from the backseat while in motion? I don’t need to watch Disney movies while I drive.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 322 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by KingLeonidas
With the SD Card movies, can you still watch them from the backseat while in motion? I don’t need to watch Disney movies while I drive.
I don't know. We didn't order the rear seat entertainment.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 PM

GLA
My car doesn't have any backseat TV, but I have unlocked my DVD by these guys https://satnavninja.com and can watch movies from both SD (not my favourite choice) and DVD.