GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Can someone help with VMI for a 2015 GL450 I'm trying to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 500E
Can someone help with VMI for a 2015 GL450 I'm trying to buy?

Hi,

After searching through tons of cars, I finally found a GL450 offered at a MB dealer. I would love a CPO car but it's out of my price range. This car has 84k miles and is being sold at a MB dealer out of state I'm in NJ, so I can't go speak to the tech that did their used car inspection to see if they uncovered anything. On the whole, the car seems to be in excellent condition. The salesman sent me their work order which shows they replaced all four tires with Pirelli P275/50R 20, did an alignment, fluid and filter service as well as changed the front camera and replaced the fuse for the cupholder. The carfax report shows the car as a one owner car with no accidents or issues but it also doesn't show any of the scheduled services. But the dealer won't share the VMI. I really like this car but I would feel better if I had more info on this car. I'm hoping someone could help me out here.
PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Last edited by arifk; 07-14-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 PM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
GL 450
Engine

Originally Posted by arifk
Hi,

After searching through tons of cars, I finally found a GL450 offered at a MB dealer. I would love a CPO car but it's out of my price range. This car has 84k miles and is being sold at a MB dealer out of state I'm in NJ, so I can't go speak to the tech that did their used car inspection to see if they uncovered anything. On the whole, the car seems to be in excellent condition. The salesman sent me their work order which shows they replaced all four tires with Pirelli P275/50R 20, did an alignment, fluid and filter service as well as changed the front camera and replaced the fuse for the cupholder. The carfax report shows the car as a one owner car with no accidents or issues but it also doesn't show any of the scheduled services. But the dealer won't share the VMI. I really like this car but I would feel better if I had more info on this car. I'm hoping someone could help me out here.
PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!
I would be certain to check the engine code against the known M278 problem engines. Seems like the right age, mileage to blow up. And if they dont want to send you the VMI, that should be a huge redflag.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran: Air Force

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Since you are buying it from a dealer out of state. Go the the closest MB dealer closest to you and speak to the Head Service Rep and tell him you are looking at this car and will be bringing it there for service and ask him to run a VMI. I got the service rep to run one for me last year. Good luck
Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLB
Gimme...

...last eight of the VIN
Old 07-20-2020, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL450
Hello.

Originally Posted by arifk
Hi,

PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!
Hello. We may need to trade in our 2015 GL 450 soon, unfortunately. We may need better towing capability. Still in the process of research on that though. We’re the only owner and we have only taken it to the local Mercedes dealership for service. What specs are you looking for?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM

1992 500E
Hi,

Unfortunately, I didn't see your post in time. I purchased the vehicle last week. The car us equipped with track package, appearance package, pano roof and tow package along with memory, and power easy entry for the rear. So far, I'm quite happy with it, hopefully, it gives us long and reliable service.

My understanding is these cars have a tow capacity of 7500lbs, of which, I'm guessing, 70% would be the safety margin?

Best of luck on your next move.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:13 PM

1992 500E
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
Since you are buying it from a dealer out of state. Go the the closest MB dealer closest to you and speak to the Head Service Rep and tell him you are looking at this car and will be bringing it there for service and ask him to run a VMI. I got the service rep to run one for me last year. Good luck
Hi,
That was great advice! My SA was able to pull it up and confirm the selling dealer's claims.

Thanks!