GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Evaporator Drain Tube

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 - Cabrio; 2017 GLS 450
Question Evaporator Drain Tube

Does anyone know where the evaporator drain tube is? Mine needs cleaning and the can of cleaner stuff says push tube into the drain tube and spray. I've also seen folks do it directly though the vents, is this safe?
Thanks everyone!
matt
Old 07-27-2020, 02:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 GL350
I did the kool-it foam cleaner yesterday and used the passenger side hold access to the AC to inject the foam. and once all the foam is inside, i looked under the car, nothing drained out... which means my drain tube is plugged. which leads me here....

according to my research, the drain tube or tubes are located right above the transmission. you should be able to see it from behind the middle dash, look from the driver side gas pedal area... i tried that but it's just too dang tight in there to see anything. going to put the GL on ramps tomorrow and see if i can spot the tubes from under neath. and shoot up a metal wire to unclog it hopefully.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 - Cabrio; 2017 GLS 450
I know it's a long shot, but if you do find it and are able to get a good pic of it I'd greatly appreciate it. I have a long trip ahead of me and I don't want to feel like I'm driving around in a $50K locker room.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:13 PM

2013 GL350
no problem. i'll try to snap something to share....
Old 07-28-2020, 10:14 PM

2013 GL350
So I was able to get under the GL today and took both covers off.... looking up around the transmission and didn't find the drain tube(s) there were a couple of soft tubes around the transmission but they were all connected to something.... nothing jumped out at me that says it's the drain tube... the passenger side was very tight and i couldn't reach up over the transmission but the driver side had more room. still, couldn't find it.... i've always been very careful with running the fan for a few minutes with the AC off before reaching my destinations so i rarely get the musky smell. but i just emptied a can of kool-it into the evaporator and now all the foam and whatever else is stuck inside... that's gonna be the last straw for me. trading it in for an electric SUV soon....

passenger side...couple of tubes...

The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-30-2020)
Old 08-23-2023, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GL450
Location of Evaporator DRAIN tubes

After reading above posts, wanted to share the following pictures showing drain tubes on each side of the console.

The red arrow points to the drain opening. There is a drain on both sides of the transmission. Access to the drain from the inside of the vehicle is very easy - se pictures for more detail.

Very easy to access and check to see if they are blocked. Simply pull back the carpet and snip off the cable tie holding the special molded bellow type fitting to the end of the evaporator. The more I work on this vehicle, the more impressed I am with the quality and design! I never thought I would write that. I also found the humidity sensor (mine was slightly corroded) to the left of the blower, also easy to remove/clean/replace.

Red arrow points to the exit of the evaporator line. It’s a nicely molded port, not a line hanging in the air like most vehicles.

Close up of the outlet. Note water droplet coming out.

Easy access to drain tube. There is one on each side of the console.

Interior front passenger compartment under glovebox. Remove cable tie and pull off drain line - I was able to blow into the tube to confirm no blockage (or use air compressor). Also injected water with turkey baster to find drain hole.

The gray circle is a sensor (humidity monitor??). Twists out easily. The opening with sensor removed provides nice access to inject evaporator foam.
The following 2 users liked this post by richpro:
kingsalami (04-09-2024), oldmangrimes (08-23-2023)