GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2015 GL350 fuel leak above fuel tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
2015 GL350 fuel leak above fuel tank

Hello has anyone experienced a diesel fuel leak from above the fuel tank. It seems that it is just a small enough leak to cause diesel fuel to run down the sides of the tank. I took it to a shop and they said that it could be the fuel pump or fuel return line leaking but would have to drop the tank to inspect to make sure of what it is. They also said to drop the tank you have to pull the drive shaft and also remove some of the exhaust pipes. I was wondering if you can access the fuel pump thru a hatch under the seats like you can on 2008 GL450's. The shop that looked at it wanted over $4k so I said heck no. If anyone has some suggestions let me know. I do most my own mechanic work but I cant seem to find any Youtube videos or anything online about fuel leaking from the tank. This leak is way back from the engine and is coming from above the tank. Not sure if it is leaking from the lock ring and seal that holds the fuel pump in or not. It seems to leak slightly more when it has a full tank of fuel compared to half or less.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Keyser4
Hello has anyone experienced a diesel fuel leak from above the fuel tank. It seems that it is just a small enough leak to cause diesel fuel to run down the sides of the tank. I took it to a shop and they said that it could be the fuel pump or fuel return line leaking but would have to drop the tank to inspect to make sure of what it is. They also said to drop the tank you have to pull the drive shaft and also remove some of the exhaust pipes. I was wondering if you can access the fuel pump thru a hatch under the seats like you can on 2008 GL450's. The shop that looked at it wanted over $4k so I said heck no. If anyone has some suggestions let me know. I do most my own mechanic work but I cant seem to find any Youtube videos or anything online about fuel leaking from the tank. This leak is way back from the engine and is coming from above the tank. Not sure if it is leaking from the lock ring and seal that holds the fuel pump in or not. It seems to leak slightly more when it has a full tank of fuel compared to half or less.
@Keyser4 Please post your VIN and someone can take a look in WIS for you.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2015 GL350 Bluetec
Do you think you could get a look on top of the tank with a borescope type camera? $4k is a lot to spent when it's probably a $0.50 o-ring.