GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

GL550 front strut replacement - need to remove axle shafts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 11:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL 550
GL550 front strut replacement - need to remove axle shafts?

2014 GL550 with 115,000 miles and I am replacing all of the Airmatic/ADS suspension components as they are worn out. Already replaced the rear suspension components with refurbished OEM shocks from Arnott, new rear airbags from Arnott, and up front a new air compressor from Arnott, new solenoid block, fuse and relay. Got everything back together and leak tested yesterday and it's riding great (compressor had failed due to leaking rear air springs which killed the rear shocks). While I'm at it, the only Airmatic components left that are original to the vehicle are the front struts so I'm going to replace them a preventative maintenance. I'm surely on borrowed time with them. I already ordered a set of OEM remanufactured struts from Arnott and was looking in WIS on the removal/install procedure. I was surprised to see that the factory procedure calls for separating the axle shafts from the trans to gain clearance for maneuvering out the struts. Ugh . I was really hoping it would be just unbolt the strut and slide it out, or maybe disconnect the upper/lower control arms and nothing more. Can someone who has completed this repair comment on whether it is truly necessary to separate the axles from the trans in order to get the struts out? Or is there some other shortcut easier way to get the front struts out? If the axle shaft must be separate from the trans, can someone confirm my read of the procedure that you only need to separate the axle at the trans, and the other end with the axle nut on the wheel hub stays attached and then the whole upper traverse control arms just swings out of the way after disconnecting the torsion bar, tie rod, and lower control arm?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:39 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
When I replaced mine I did take the axle out of the hub. I did not take it out of the front differential. Once the axle is out of the hub you can push it down out of the way to get the strut in place. Just need to make sure you get a new axle nut for reassembly.

Last edited by Jim Ma; 01-10-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:41 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
Also, No need to remove the lower control arm. Also these trucks don't have Torsion bars. The is why they have air springs.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL 550
Thanks for the insight. More to disconnect than I had hoped. What WIS calls “torsion bars” are what I would call the “stabilizer linkage” and connect the sway bar to the upper control arm. Probably something lost in translation...

Anyways, just got an email from AutohausAZ that the remanufactured Arnott’s that I ordered are out of stock and they cancelled my order. So now I’m rethinking the whole preventative maintenance approach given that the existing are still working for now...
Old 01-11-2021, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Yes, torsion bar in Mercedes' terminology = stabilizer bar = anti roll bar
The following users liked this post:
jcob2 (01-11-2021)