GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Towing Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL450
Towing Question

Just got a 2013 GL450. Only had it a couple days, but I like it. I want to tow with it. I read that if you have a properly installed hitch and harness the truck won't lower down on the highway. When it is lowered the hitch is very low. What I have doesn't look like a factory install. Harness runs out from where the spare is located. Are there any other steps I can take to keep it from lowering? Not familiar with a the different layouts, but mine just has a single button on the center console. No, off road option.

Don't familiar with a the different layout, but mine just has a single button on the center console. No, off road option.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:13 PM

Received 321 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Welcome!

FWIW, that's not a full factory setup. I don't know what programming is available, if any, to mimic the factory towing programming but I would strongly suggest trying to figure out exactly which aftermarket setup is installed.

And then try to figure out its limits and if it's installed properly before trying to tow anything. I know several folks here on this forum were OK with installing low-spec equipment because they simply wanted to a place to attach a bike rack back when these trucks were new. YMMV.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 05-13-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GL450
I didn't think it was factory, looked incomplete. Since towing is important for me I'll have to look into getting one installed correctly. Looks like it's not cheap. Is there any way to cheat the system and keep the body raised at speed?