GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Morality of trading in your used car with major defects.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 01:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
Morality of trading in your used car with major defects.

I see a lot of post suggesting to trade in vehicles after dealer diagnostics that turns out to be cost prohibitive to the owner. Chances are these are not disclosed to maximize the individual’s trade in value of the vehicle. Completely legal. The vehicle is then sold forward, at which a dealer will do what is necessary to get it road worthy to pass state and local inspection. The hope is that any issues are rectified by the dealer before treating the hands of the new perspective buyer. Any issues hidden therefore now lands on the hands of the new owners. Dealers hope they can add a warranty and pass the risk down to another entity, warranty covering any hidden issues. Again the entire process is legal. But what ends up happening with these hidden and not so obvious issues is the new owner gets hit hard for these failures shortly after delivery, if bought additionally some warranties will cover by most don’t cover fully larger items. Moral dilema, where does the moral responsibility lie?

I keep reading stories of newly purchased vehicles with hidden motor issues or larger items defects and begs the question, is it the new owners fault for lack of due diligence or somewhere before on the cycle of a used car?

Last edited by Ricardoa1; 06-03-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:34 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
That is why I buy new, I realize not everyone can afford to buy new, but it has piece of mind included.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes GL63
Always a risk when buying a used anything without a transferable warranty. It’s also why depreciation varies so much. I always risk it and go with used cars. Most of the time it works out. I’ve been burned a time or two though. Still, I get more car for the money buying used.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
I can't really control the previous owners' behaviour and while I can't blame them for trying to get max value from their trade in, I try hard not to be one to pay the costs they avoided.

I've bought new and used. After I bought new I said I'd not buy used again, but I lied to myself. HA!

My general rule of thumb is to avoid small third party independent dealers I know nothing about. I'm sure some are fine, but enough out there are too shady and give the small dealer network a bad rap. Bigger network dealers (MB, BMW, VW, Ford, etc.) can be just as bad, I'm sure. Dealers are in business to make money, not fix everything that's wrong a car. I expect they'll avoid spending anything beyond the absolute minimum resources to get a vehicle in sellable condition. Do as much research on the vehicle you can. Ask all the questions which come to mind amd keep records. Research (did I say that already?) the car itself for history of repairs, accidents, etc., and the yr/model for common problems and repair costs before you buy. For those of us with finite financial resources, buying a car must not be an emotional process, but a rational one. And be prepared to walk away at any time if you feel the car is not the right one for you. Settling emotionally for one is about as bad of a mistake as you can make. Settling rationally on one is different. It prepares me for the expected and some unexpected expenditures. Also helps with buying a car which will not push me into poverty when I have to fix something. Emotional settlement will result in more pain when the wallet opens, and maybe anger, disappointment in making the (emotional) decision to buy that car.

I don't trade cars in. I sell them privately and disclose all known issues, big or small, repairs, accidents, etc. I throw in parts I have bought but not used.

All in all, I've been fortunate to get into cars which have needed either about or less than the average maintenance costs for their yr/model. Some of it may be related to the research, and some to luck. I'll stick to that process as it seems to work for me.

If i were to make an emotional decision on a car, it should be on a 356 or 190SL. That is if I had the financial freedom to pursue a specimen from either, or both. At that point the wallet wouldn't even feel it, and I wouldn't care of the purchase/maintenance costs, I'm sure.

Until then, research!
The following users liked this post:
OneAdam12 (06-04-2021)