GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

How to replace GL450 (2014) daytime running light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
How to replace GL450 (2014) daytime running light

My daytime running light just fell off while I was driving. I didn't know until another driver signaled me. I pulled over and found this big hole on my car. I called the MB shops and they're charging $450 for replacing it (parts and service). I'm wondering if I can just purchase the DRL somewhere and install it myself. But how hard can it be?? Where can I purchase it and is there a DIY video you can suggest? Please advise... thanks!
Old 04-24-2022, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2013 GL500
GL X166 DLR fitting

Originally Posted by vgsaha
My daytime running light just fell off while I was driving. I didn't know until another driver signaled me. I pulled over and found this big hole on my car. I called the MB shops and they're charging $450 for replacing it (parts and service). I'm wondering if I can just purchase the DRL somewhere and install it myself. But how hard can it be?? Where can I purchase it and is there a DIY video you can suggest? Please advise... thanks!
Daytime running lights are available for about $80.00 a pair (L & R) AUD. They are easy to change but, buy a pair and change BOTH as they will be a different color/intensity. BE BRAVE! Pry the surround out with a wide, (20mm plus) plasic tool to reduce the posibility of paint damage. Do it slowly and firmly, easing it out all around. You will need a Torx screwdriver for the 2 screws that hold the light in place. My left light had very little wire and was it not easy to remove the plug in the back, the plug has a white locking piece on top and you must push it back a little (only about 2mm) then hold it down at the back and wriggle out the connection.
I broke a couple of the plastic clips on one of my light surrounds as I was in too much of a hurry! I put a couple of dobs of silicone there and held it overnight with tape and it's fine.
These lights from Mercedes are about $450 EACH! Buy repro lights, they are well made and a fraction of the price. These lights will fail when water gets in either from damage or not being sealed correctly from new.