GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Sport mode on Off-road pack vs non equipped.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 11:13 PM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
Sport mode on Off-road pack vs non equipped.

Dusted the old manual, and sadly I must say I’m a little bit dissatisfied with the packaging on the GL,

When equipped with the off-road package, selecting the Sport drive mode does the following…..

Select the SPORT program for sporty, dynamic handling.

SPORT indicator = appears in the multifunction display.
High-speed level, –15 mm compared to highway level, is set.
ADS (Adaptive Damping System) adapts sporty damping characteristics to the current operating and driving conditions.
The automatic transmission selects the automatic drive program for a sporty driving style.
The sporty accelerator pedal curve is selected, e.g. the accelerator pedal no longer has to be pressed as far to accelerate.
The sporty steering curve is selected, e.g. greater force is required when steering.

Where does all this fall non equipped GL? specifically the GL550 in comparison? Does the driving characteristics reassemble the Sport side of the equation for transmission, steering and throttle curve or are you stuck with comfort only? I obviously can’t tell in between since I don’t the off-road, but curious on the above. I can’t lock my transmission into manual mode I know that for sure. I do have the adaptive Airmatic shocks but pressing sport on that only lowers the car and stiffens the shocks, no other noticeable improvement in driving dynamics. Can folks confirm my observations?

Can any of this be tailored in an engineering menu or an OBD update tune?

Last edited by Ricardoa1; 03-14-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
On my 2015 GL550 there is no sport mode for engine, only for the air suspension setting - normal or "sport". In Normal it handles like a sofa, in "sport" it handles like a small bus. My E550 M278 had a sport button for the engine (steel suspension). This changed the performance aspect fairly dramatically. I don't really miss it when driving the wife's GL, but I was considering a ML550 to replace the E550 until I realized it also does not have an engine sport mode. Now I'm eyeing a 2012-15 ML63.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:52 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 GL550
Bummer in the packaging. I guess off road is the package to give you some of that without going full AMG. Pretty disappointing, auto shifting is always overriding over the paddles when I attempt manual mode. You get used to it but definitely should have been a sport mode button for engine and transmission.