GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Airmatic puzzle - Comes and goes and now Check engine light and

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Airmatic puzzle - Comes and goes and now Check engine light and

I've owned a 2013 GL450 2 months from a dealership and am puzzled.

5 weeks ago the suspension one day was incredibly erratic, felt like "bunny hopping" , when you learn to drive shift. Turned off car, was fine again
For 2 weeks I could hear the compressor come on and off here and there to presumably top up the airbags in the airmatic suspension, was loud, but no issues clear

2 weeks ago I got "airmatic malfunction" message on screen, and the car was drooped down low on the drivers rear side and going over anything caused loud bangs, just about got it home, was driving it to a mechanic the next day and it was fine. In fact better than ever with no compressor sounds.

I tried raising the car as a test, but wouldn't ever reach "top", but was fine otherwise.

Then the same happened again 7 days ago, "Airmatic malfunction", then turned the car on and off and was fine again. Because the car is quite old, I've been OK with just seeing how it does, and don't want to put much into it.

Been driving around for a week now and other than the compressor occasionally making sounds, it's fine, I tried raising the car as a test, and it now works.

Then suddenly today a check engine light came on,

Took it to a mechanic, they said they can't see error codes with the suspension as it's now a "comms issue" between the suspension and it, and only a dealer can see the issue.
Somehow this seems odd to me. The local dealer means taking 3 hours of my time out

Should I carry on driving and see if the issue seems to resolve? What issue is this likely to be a leaking airbag drivers read side? What should that cost to fix?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-10-2022, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X166 blue tec 2014 / 2009 Toyota Venza
Originally Posted by moosieman
I've owned a 2013 GL450 2 months from a dealership and am puzzled.

5 weeks ago the suspension one day was incredibly erratic, felt like "bunny hopping" , when you learn to drive shift. Turned off car, was fine again
For 2 weeks I could hear the compressor come on and off here and there to presumably top up the airbags in the airmatic suspension, was loud, but no issues clear

2 weeks ago I got "airmatic malfunction" message on screen, and the car was drooped down low on the drivers rear side and going over anything caused loud bangs, just about got it home, was driving it to a mechanic the next day and it was fine. In fact better than ever with no compressor sounds.

I tried raising the car as a test, but wouldn't ever reach "top", but was fine otherwise.

Then the same happened again 7 days ago, "Airmatic malfunction", then turned the car on and off and was fine again. Because the car is quite old, I've been OK with just seeing how it does, and don't want to put much into it.

Been driving around for a week now and other than the compressor occasionally making sounds, it's fine, I tried raising the car as a test, and it now works.

Then suddenly today a check engine light came on,

Took it to a mechanic, they said they can't see error codes with the suspension as it's now a "comms issue" between the suspension and it, and only a dealer can see the issue.
Somehow this seems odd to me. The local dealer means taking 3 hours of my time out

Should I carry on driving and see if the issue seems to resolve? What issue is this likely to be a leaking airbag drivers read side? What should that cost to fix?
Thanks in advance
you need new airbags. Ideally on all four locations. Dealer cost could be 2 or three thousand. I’m not sure what your Labor cost are at your shop by my shop is $179 / hr. An hour or two for each wheel. I could be wrong. I did mine myself. Not too bad. Took me three hours for tithe rear bags.