GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Command System not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL350
Command System not working

I installed CarPlay about nine months ago and it’s worked flawlessly.
I got in after it’s sat a few days and the screen didn’t come on, even in reverse. The radio plays and all the buttons work, just not the command system screen or dial. Oh and my phone doesn’t even charge when I plug my phone into the charger that comes out of the dash.
I have to assume it has something to do with the CarPlay system.
I checked some fuses to no avail. I also tried resetting the radio and that didn’t fix it.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:01 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by ShutDownStrange
I have to assume it has something to do with the CarPlay system.
That, or the screen itself has failed. The fact that there's no power coming out of the CarPlay unit makes me suspect the CarPlay unit.

The good news is the Comand unit itself does not appear to be dead. I'd suggest checking all the connections on the CarPlay unit, and if that does not help, remove the unit and restore all the original internal connections between the Comand box and the screen. If the screen works, you have absolutely verified that the CarPlay unit has failed.
The following users liked this post:
ShutDownStrange (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by cadetdrivr
That, or the screen itself has failed. The fact that there's no power coming out of the CarPlay unit makes me suspect the CarPlay unit.

The good news is the Comand unit itself does not appear to be dead. I'd suggest checking all the connections on the CarPlay unit, and if that does not help, remove the unit and restore all the original internal connections between the Comand box and the screen. If the screen works, you have absolutely verified that the CarPlay unit has failed.
Thanj you. Not looking forward to getting back into the dash.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:11 PM

2015 GL350
Update, took the dash apart again (not as hard as I remembered). Opened it, fiddled with some stuff to see if anything came loose, but couldn't find anything. Tested it anyway and it works again. When you add the Carplay module it STUFFS that area tight. For some reason rearranging things worked.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
GL450
Sounds like the com units on Aircraft. Many fixes are done by "re-racking" the units in the Avionics Bay. Glideslope, ACARS, MCAS, MCDU, most any GRU and Flight Displays. If it doesn't work or is faulty for some reason, we just pull it out and put it back in and it works! I think I remember reading in a Honeywell CMM that it stated 'Re-Racking' was an acceptable fix to computer glitches.

Chad
ShutDownStrange (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 03:39 PM

2015 GL350
Originally Posted by Tiffany's GL450
Sounds like the com units on Aircraft. Many fixes are done by "re-racking" the units in the Avionics Bay. Glideslope, ACARS, MCAS, MCDU, most any GRU and Flight Displays. If it doesn't work or is faulty for some reason, we just pull it out and put it back in and it works! I think I remember reading in a Honeywell CMM that it stated 'Re-Racking' was an acceptable fix to computer glitches.

Chad
Haha I’m glad to hear my shifting crap around fix is also used professionally.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by Tiffany's GL450
As as guy who puts those squawks in the logbook I can bear witness to this truth.

Tiffany's GL450 (12-23-2022)