GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Coolant leaking after car is off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gl 450
Unhappy Coolant leaking after car is off

Hello all,
I've search the forums for a while and can't find a thread for this, so i decided to go ahead and post my issue. I have a 14 GL 450 with the M278 engine. The car is at 101k miles right now and i have no extended warranty. I replaced the coolant lines for the turbos about a year ago. The car was running fine for a few months until i heard a pop sound while i was park after driving for about an hour. Looked at the engine bay and underneath and no signs of any leakage. I did started to notice that my AC started giving me issues and also started feeling a coolant smell in the cabin. I was able to make it to Florinda and back to South Jersey in July after a road trip with the family. I immediately did an oil change and filters as i was close to my service interval then. This was around 95k. In the last month or two, i noticed that the car will start a dripping coolant after i shut off the engine. If i don't open the reservoir cap, specifically when i leave it overnight, there is a big puddle of coolant on the floor. Last thing, the smaller reservoir on top of the engine has a clear fluid on top and i can see the blue coolant on the bottom of it. Any help with this issues will be appreciated.

recap of issues:
1. leaking coolant when car is off
2. misfire on cylinders #5 and #8
3. coolant smell in the cabin
4. A/C blew hot after the pop

Last edited by EddieEdd; 01-05-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GL550 Wife, LS460 & LC Mine
For our truck, it was a leaking plastic tee on the driver side under air intake manifold. It was fixed under warrantee and is very common. Can detect when car is running