GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Active Curve System (ARS) Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Active Curve System (ARS) Retrofit

I've been contemplating retrofitting my GL550 with ARS sourcing used parts. I know it will need:
  1. Front and rear active sway bars
  2. Belt-driven hydraulic pump
  3. Hydraulic fluid reservoir
  4. All hoses and electrical harness
  5. Valve blocks
  6. Control module (anyone knows if a different/additional control module is needed?)
  7. Coding to add this option to vehicle
If anyone with ARS is intimate with your GL, can you share photos or description of how the hoses are routed from the pump/reservoir to the sway bars? If anyone else has information or diagrams/drawings I can use as reference that will be great. I'll share my journey if I decide to embark on this retrofit.

PS: I'm seeking technical input and welcome input from all. If you know of any technical barriers or challenges to consider that's fine to share. But please refrain from going off on a tangent about why it doesn't make financial sense, whether it's worthwhile, etc.; that's for me to decide

Last edited by tadiguy; 06-13-2023 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M_Davis (06-15-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 03:31 AM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
I found quite useful illustration and component description for ARS in WIS.
In addition the components I listed above, there are pressure sensors for the hydraulic system, acceleration/yaw sensors (not sure yet if these are special for ARS), and indeed an Active roll stabilization control unit buried under the front left seat. So, I need to find out what internal wiring is required, if any of this is prewired, and whether the external mounting/attachment points for lines, valve blocks, pump, etc. already exist.