GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Suspension entry / exit lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 350, 2005 Mazda MPV
Suspension entry / exit lowering

Hello! Can the suspension be intentionally lowered to ease entry or exit in the GL - X166 cars? After looking at the postings and owners manual about this, I can't determine if there a way to do this. There doesn't seem to be a control or button (unlike the X167, where there's a button in the trunk area). So is this a setting in the screen? Or is it not possible at all? It is confusing looking for this info, because there's a similarly named feature that moves the second row seat to ease entry into the third row.

Specifically, I'm looking at GL diesels (should be the same for any GL X166, I'd imagine) with this option '489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE'. Is there a way to make it lower the suspension to make it easier for say, elderly people, to get in / out?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by JSW_TDI
Hello! Can the suspension be intentionally lowered to ease entry or exit in the GL - X166 cars? After looking at the postings and owners manual about this, I can't determine if there a way to do this. There doesn't seem to be a control or button (unlike the X167, where there's a button in the trunk area). So is this a setting in the screen? Or is it not possible at all? It is confusing looking for this info, because there's a similarly named feature that moves the second row seat to ease entry into the third row.

Specifically, I'm looking at GL diesels (should be the same for any GL X166, I'd imagine) with this option '489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE'. Is there a way to make it lower the suspension to make it easier for say, elderly people, to get in / out?

Thanks!
All GL’s in the USA have Airmatic suspension, and the “stock” system is option code 489. It basically has three vertical levels from the factory, and only minimal driver control. (And yes, there was an optional upgraded suspension with additional features but since I’m not familiar hopefully somebody with that upgrade can chime in.)

For the stock suspension, the default level is the medium level and the truck maintains this level at low speeds and when powered off. The truck will automatically lower a little bit at highway speeds for stability and fuel efficiency, but then automatically raise again to the default point when speed is reduced. And then you can manually select a raised position using the button on the center console (see photo). This raised position is for off-road use and will also automatically return to normal when speed is increased above a set point.

If memory serves, the default set point can be adjusted using MB diagnostic hardware.

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 03-14-2024 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JSW_TDI (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL 350, 2005 Mazda MPV
Thanks for the definitive info!
It is disappointing that such an useful use case was missed.