GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

HVAC hose failure A166 830 41 96

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 12:51 AM
Veteran: Marine Corp

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
HVAC hose failure A166 830 41 96

Im getting real tired of these plastic hose ends that keep deteriorating on my GL63 or actually all the MBs that I own. I have 5 and these hose ends seem as useless as paper straws. I was driving home and about 30 miles away in Dublin, I got coolant low on my dash. I figured I just needed to add some coolant at my next stop. Well, I get the red warning light that says stop engine as the engine is too hot. I pull over the side of the freeway on one of the hottest days here in the Bay Area. I sat for about 30 minutes to let motor cool off a bit and I drove to the next exit which was about 1/3 of a mile away which also had a O'rielly. I buy coolant and pour it in and when I started the engine, it just pissed out again. I get it towed home and I find that it's the HVAC hose. The one that is connected to the firewall but not the plastic connector at the firewall; I replaced that about 2 years ago. It's the actual hose with the plastic end that connects to the back of the engine block. ( part number A166 830 41 96. )

Anway, I ordered the hose. I have to say, if you have large hands, you may never get to the back to remove the clip or the hose. I have smaller hands and I was able to get the clip off with a small screwdriver and a bit of force to pull the hose out. The other end connects to the firewall and is only held in place with a hose clamp. After you remove the hose connecter, you will have to remove the male portion of the hose end which will still be inside of the female part. Use a mirror and flashlight to take a look. I'm still waiting for the part to arrive and really hope I didn't do any damage to the engine as the temp needle pegged all the way to the hot end of the gauge.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-19-2024)