GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Towbar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towbar

Hi, I'm picking up a new GL63 on Monday, I'd like to purchase a towbar, LED trailer resistor pack and electric brake.

Can anyone suggest a company or website?

Keen not to go through my local dealer but am keen for OEM parts.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GL63 AMG
You may not need a LED resistor. My trailer has LED's and I've had none of the problems with the GL that I had with either my Audi or Toureg.

Towbar. The receiver on the GL63 is incredibly low and is recessed deep under the bumper. To level the trailer you will probably need at least a 9" bar with a 2.5" drop that you will have to run flipped over giving you a 2.5" rise. I've tried multiple combinations and that seems like the best combo.

Be very careful backing up and get used to the view the camera gives you. The plastic webbing below the bumper is very close to the hitch ball even with a longer drawbar.

You may also need an extension for your trailer light wiring. The plug on the vehicle is tucked deeper inside the bumper than most vehicles. I usually keep an extension tucked in with the spare in case I need to pull somebody else's trailer.

I pull lighter trailer's with surge brakes, no experience with electric brakes, sorry.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks heaps!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2018 AMG GTR, gone 2017 AMG GT, 2015 GL 550, 2008 GL320, 1992 e500
Originally Posted by scud
Hi, I'm picking up a new GL63 on Monday, I'd like to purchase a towbar, LED trailer resistor pack and electric brake.

Can anyone suggest a company or website?

Keen not to go through my local dealer but am keen for OEM parts.

Thanks.
I have been using the wireless trailer brake controller for my GL320 for years without any problems. It works great and can be transferred between cars and trailers. This way you don't have to install the controller in your GL 63. I have not tried it on my GL 550 as the hitch is being installed as we speak. I will update you if this controller works
or not.

Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control