GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

GL63 and a little fun in the Blizzard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
GL63 and a little fun in the Blizzard

so the snow is coming down ... looking for 24 inches in the city!

I am seeing that the car (dedicated Scorpion "Winter" tire equipped) seems to do be more fun driving with the traction control "off" , the AMG Sport suspensions off, and the transmission in "S".

with the traction control off... (obviously you need to drive judiciously) but it allows the car handle on the throttle.. as apposed to the TC applying brakes or cutting power just when you don't need it. (the ABS will take care of braking no matter what)

having the AMG Sport Suspension completely off keeps the shift points a little lower than would be for example AMG ++. With the tranny in "S" things stay on boil.

the locked 40/60 split gives that good ole boy dirt track feel where as the floating split of my old GL550 gave the car a more "pulling" through the snow vs "pushing"....(the GL550/450/350 are really much better snow machines for getting from point A to point B...just less entertaining)

I know its not the Nürburgring Ring.... but us poor GL63 owners have to find any fun that we can get from our lumbering ponderous beasts.

Be careful out there.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Yep got the news. Stay safe out there all new Yorkers and east coasters! We are here in CA Bay Area enjoyed another day in 60-70F clear skies ... ... But snow has its own charm...!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL63, 2014 SQ5
Thumbs up GL63 vs Blizzard!

The beast performed beyond my expectations.
Out twice today in Cape Cod during blizzard conditions- first snow for new GL!
Would not have made even made it out my driveway without the Pirelli Winter Scorpions (21 inch stock size).
I raised the height and turned off the tractions control and made two round trips (about 32 miles in all) during blizzard conditions!
My wife and I both work in a hospital and getting to work is a must.
I encountered 4 X 4s, tow trucks, and even several large plows stuck along the way. At times I had to come to a complete stop with white out conditions and no visibility. My street was not yet plowed and had over 20 inches of snow on the last leg of the commute.
Attached Thumbnails GL63 and a little fun in the Blizzard-img_0137.jpg