GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Temporary Limp Mode/Fuel Cut?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2020 | 10:20 AM

'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Temporary Limp Mode/Fuel Cut?

So I've had this problem sporadically for about a year or so. I'd be driving, typically on the highway, and attempt to accelerate more aggressively by pressing on the gas, but I get no response in terms of RPM change or travel speed. So it's not like the clutch is slipping and it's overreving. To the contrary, its almost like it enters into a limp mode and simply won't let me accelerate.

It's not cutting existing power, however. So it's not like I'm losing speed; I can maintain the current travel speed and RPMs, but can't accelerate; even when going WOT at that point.

Now I initially thought that maybe this was a trans lockout/engine protection typa situation to ensure the vehicle is at optimum operating temp before allowing aggressive acceleration. But a) I live in FL, where it never really gets that cold, and b) as I mentioned, this is happening 10-15 min into the drive, after I've left the neighborhood, gotten onto surface streets, and am on the highway, and have been driving on the highway for a few min when I decided to accelerate more aggressively (eg attempting to pass a vehicle).

This time, this happened twice in the past week, so videos of it. I'm at operating temp, and I'm literally at WOT, holding the throttle like that. As long as I'm at WOT, it will remain in that limp mode. Only thing that seems to resolve it is taking my foot completely off the accelerator then depressing it again, at which point the accelerator responds.

Any ideas?

TIA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3I...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2jQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-23-2020 | 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
The only thing I can think of is your accelerator pedal assembly is failing.
Old 11-24-2020 | 01:45 AM

Hmm...now that I have it on video, I'm hoping they'll be forced to replace something in the quest to remedy the situation...
Old 02-04-2021 | 07:35 AM

In case anyone else runs into a similar problem, figured I'd provide an update. Got it on video, happening 3 different times, including when everything was at operating temp. Tech said it was a bad torque converter, and replaced it under warranty. Hope that resolves the issue.