GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

2013 GL63/GL550 reliability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 Lexus GS430
2013 GL63/GL550 reliability?

So I've thinking about getting a SUV and the Mercedes GL comes to mind. Initially I was looking at the E63, but would like more space. The GL has plenty of space while also having performance and luxury. I like everything about em. There really isn't much on the market in regards to performance SUVs at decent prices.

How do these SUVs hold up past 100k miles? I see a lot for sale at that mileage. How hard is DIY for things like brakes and oil change? Am I just better off getting an E Class?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 GLS63
Originally Posted by JChi23
So I've thinking about getting a SUV and the Mercedes GL comes to mind. Initially I was looking at the E63, but would like more space. The GL has plenty of space while also having performance and luxury. I like everything about em. There really isn't much on the market in regards to performance SUVs at decent prices.

How do these SUVs hold up past 100k miles? I see a lot for sale at that mileage. How hard is DIY for things like brakes and oil change? Am I just better off getting an E Class?
Interesting question. FWIW, I've owned a 2012 GL550 (flawless reliability), 2013 GL550 (OK reliability, issues covered under CPO warranty), and 2017 GLS63 (OK reliability, issues covered under CPO/extended warranty).

All of us have different levels of risk tolerance and different expectations regarding reliability. There are a few issues with the X166 vehicles that can be very expensive to repair (e.g., cylinder scoring in the M157/278 engines, oil in engine harness) and therefore I sleep more soundly having my vehicle covered under CPO and/or M-B extended warranty. That being said, the coverage on the CPO and extended warranty is quite good and is reasonably priced -- I've never had an issue with declined coverage.

Regarding routine maintenance, it's expensive at the dealership but not too difficult to DIY for the operations you asked about. If you get the Brembo front brakes (standard on the AMGs, optional on GL550's (I think)), the brake pad maintenance is particularly easy. Lastly, these vehicles are known for eating through tires and brakes -- especially the AMGs -- so factor that into your cost-of-ownership calculations. I get 20K on tires, 10-15K rear brakes, 15-20K front brakes on my GLS63.

Last edited by joecparrish; 01-26-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 811 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
164GL is for sure more reliable but the X166 is manageable. My rear pads last around 10k miles if I'm lucky but I use lane keep assist and Distronic often. Those are known to wear the pads more quickly. In particular, my right rear inside pad is the one that is done in 10k miles and the outside right rear pad lasts around 15k to 20k miles. Brake pads and rotors are an easy DIY and quite affordable if you shop a bit. I also do my own oil changes with a topsider.

The main issues I've experienced with the X166 bi-turbo v8's are turbo coolant lines and coolant lines in general. I've had to come out of pocket for some coolant lines in the front of the engine and an oil separator to fix a rough idle issue. Had a line go out in my multi-contour seating but that was covered under warranty but would have been expensive if I had to pay. I also had a seal go out in the active suspension that was not covered under warranty.

CPO seems to be much weaker than previous MB's I've owned given the number of out of pocket repairs I had to pay for at the dealership. I would probably recommend an aftermarket warranty company that has great reviews. Not sure I will get or recommend a CPO again due to reduced coverage and higher vehicle price.