GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

I'm scared and lost! My GL63 (X166) is stranded.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 11:16 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Unhappy I'm scared and lost! My GL63 (X166) is stranded.

Hello, Mercedes-AMG community!

I have a 2015 GL63 with 59k miles. Purchased from MB of Manhattan and meticulously maintained, but with a series of issues over the years. However, with subzero temperatures in Chicagoland lately, it has started acting a little funny. A week and a half ago, I had to have a rim repaired. Unfortunately, this has been a too frequent thing. Upon leaving the highly-reputable tire shop with my repaired wheel, I noticed the vehicle would vibrate violently at 70 mph and above. I took it back and they rebalanced the wheel. It was very difficult to notice any issues with it thereafter. I mention this to simply be thorough and to make sure that I did not miss anything on this front.

Yesterday, with -11F weather here in Illinois, the car started up and said low coolant. The message quickly disappeared and did not come on for the rest of the day. Honestly, I did not check the coolant and assumed the warning was just a bug from it being so cold. I have never had to top off the coolant in a Mercedes.

Later in the evening, I was traveling to take my dad and his partner to a family Christmas gathering. Drove 15 miles without issue. Parked and started getting them into the car. Upon starting the vehicle, the CEL came on. After about 30 seconds, the car started shaking pretty violently with the CEL beginning to flash. I started to smell a burning or sulfur smell in the cabin and quickly shut the vehicle off. Unfortunately, being in front of a fire hydrant, I did have to move the vehicle into a parking lot around the corner. It remains there because this happened the day before Christmas Eve! Anyway, the smell reminded me that earlier in the morning, I felt that the smell of gasoline was a little overwhelming, but I attributed that to the cold just like the one-time coolant warning. It didn't happen the rest of the day.

Last night, I did check for codes and got 9 of them: P0300, P0348, P0393, P0355, P0352, P0353, P0305, P0302, P0308. At this point, I am also dreading everything since my warranty expired at the end of November...whilst she was at Fletcher Jones where I had expressed concern about a slight rough idle (unable to replicate)...how convenient?

Cross-posted!