GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

Source for New Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2023 | 06:07 PM

2014 GL63 Eurocharged Stage 1
Source for New Transmission

Hello all,

it appears my third party warranty will be covering a new transmission and torque converter due to ongoing and unresolvable shift quality issues. I'm in Canada and the reputable german shop doing the work has been unable to source a new transmission through MB Canada. They've also stated that their usual transmission rebuilder doesn't want to touch the 7G as small parts are sometimes hard to come by. As cost isn't a concern, does anyone know of any solid transmission sources for new in the US?

Appreciated!
Old 08-25-2023 | 05:15 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by pathfinder_88
Hello all,

it appears my third party warranty will be covering a new transmission and torque converter due to ongoing and unresolvable shift quality issues. I'm in Canada and the reputable german shop doing the work has been unable to source a new transmission through MB Canada. They've also stated that their usual transmission rebuilder doesn't want to touch the 7G as small parts are sometimes hard to come by. As cost isn't a concern, does anyone know of any solid transmission sources for new in the US?

Appreciated!
couldn’t you just call or email a MB dealer in the us an have it shipped. Also my question is what shift issues were u having and how many miles and year do u have ?
Old 08-25-2023 | 05:36 PM

It sounds like the shop has gone through MB Canada and I believe there was no new inventory through MB US either.

Bought the 2014 GL in May of this year with 96k kms and have had issues since (have only put on a couple thousand kms) with light/moderate throttle shifts being clunky/inconsistent. For example, the 3-4 shift would almost feel like it was shifting twice, with noticeable rpm drop twice, potentially erratic TC lock up? If driven in manual and shift rpm is slightly higher, there does not appear to be any issues. In comfort or sport, it's erratic/rough. If driven hard, no real issues. My suggestion was to first clean the solenoid screens in the valve body or replace the solenoids/valve body all together. If unsuccessful, potentially replace the TC. It doesn't look like they want to bother going down that route. I'm content if warranty wants to pay for a new transmission/TC ($$$) however I'm worried it could take a couple months to get a transmission in from Germany if there's no North American stock. We may likely just have to drive it as is until then.

It's going to be a massive repair bill either way. Warranty has already paid for new cam sensors and magnets as well as the cleaning of the oil-soaked harness. They're also paying for a new drive belt tensioner etc. Glad I bought the two year warranty...
Old 08-27-2023 | 04:35 PM

ML63
Originally Posted by pathfinder_88
It sounds like the shop has gone through MB Canada and I believe there was no new inventory through MB US either.

Bought the 2014 GL in May of this year with 96k kms and have had issues since (have only put on a couple thousand kms) with light/moderate throttle shifts being clunky/inconsistent. For example, the 3-4 shift would almost feel like it was shifting twice, with noticeable rpm drop twice, potentially erratic TC lock up? If driven in manual and shift rpm is slightly higher, there does not appear to be any issues. In comfort or sport, it's erratic/rough. If driven hard, no real issues. My suggestion was to first clean the solenoid screens in the valve body or replace the solenoids/valve body all together. If unsuccessful, potentially replace the TC. It doesn't look like they want to bother going down that route. I'm content if warranty wants to pay for a new transmission/TC ($$$) however I'm worried it could take a couple months to get a transmission in from Germany if there's no North American stock. We may likely just have to drive it as is until then.

It's going to be a massive repair bill either way. Warranty has already paid for new cam sensors and magnets as well as the cleaning of the oil-soaked harness. They're also paying for a new drive belt tensioner etc. Glad I bought the two year warranty...
Gotcha and the reason I ask is because mine seems to have a weird almost delayed 2-1 downshift when driving around but would do it once or twice a day . But I have just recently noticed my drivers mount may be on its way out . Motors not jumping but moving more than it should . I drove a low mile 29k mile 16 gle63 and felt solid all the way around . Mine is a 14 ML63 w/pp . Trans service was at 60k and it has 83k now .
Old 08-27-2023 | 04:49 PM

Yeah, mine has been a bit of a pain. Drivers side motor mount, leaking cam sensors/oily harness, serpentine belt/tensioner, trans issues. Really hoping I can enjoy it for a bit once fixed. Again, the two year warranty has more than paid for itself.
Old 09-07-2023 | 12:57 PM

Just a note that a brand new transmission and torque converter was sourced by my warranty company from Germany. Should be here in about two weeks. Shall see if this cures some of the issues. It was an expensive solution.
The following users liked this post:
Lawrence Lane (11-20-2023)