GL63 AMG and GLS63 (X166, X167) 2014 - present (Two generations)

GLS Dash Peeling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 63
Question GLS Dash Peeling

Has anyone else experienced the dash of their GLS peeling up? I've seen some other posts from S class and ML class doing this but mine is getting worse fast (it's garaged and very rarely parked outside) but it did live most of it's live in Arizona before I got it. None of the interior shops around me will touch it so just trying to figure out what options exist to get it fixed or replace it. I've attached an image but it's gotten much worse since I originally took this.

Mine is a 2017 GLS 63

Old 08-08-2024, 09:21 AM

GLS 63
More recent photos

Old 08-08-2024, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,890 Likes on 2,602 Posts
2019 C63CS
If that's a leather dash, then it's sun damage. According to detailers with experience this is caused by the sun drying out the dash causing the leather to shrink and then separate from the glue. Apparently, silicon based aftermarket leather conditioners and/or armor all can worsen this as these products diminish the coating of the leather w/ UV exposure. The car having sat in the Arizona sun for most of its life and not knowing how the previous owners cared for it, didn't help, either.
The following users liked this post:
jcarsnz (08-08-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 10:49 AM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 GLS63
FWIW, I had essentially the same problem with my 2017 GLS 63. The repair was not covered under M-B extended warranty, but they did comp the labor and only charged for parts -- they don't try to repair this; they just replace the dash. Came out to about $1900.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:22 AM

GLS 63
Originally Posted by superswiss
If that's a leather dash, then it's sun damage. According to detailers with experience this is caused by the sun drying out the dash causing the leather to shrink and then separate from the glue. Apparently, silicon based aftermarket leather conditioners and/or armor all can worsen this as these products diminish the coating of the leather w/ UV exposure. The car having sat in the Arizona sun for most of its life and not knowing how the previous owners cared for it, didn't help, either.
It is the leather dash and this was my thinking as well as to what was happening. I was kind of hoping there was a way to stretch it back out and re-glue it but pessimist in me just thinks it wouldn't stick and would peel right back up.

@joecparrish Did you get the original leather dash replacement or go with the faux leather one? I've see posts on the ML and S class forums that the faux leather doesn't have this issue so some have gone that route. If you went back with the original leather, how has it been since the replacement?
Old 08-10-2024, 12:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 GLS63
Originally Posted by zonywhoop
It is the leather dash and this was my thinking as well as to what was happening. I was kind of hoping there was a way to stretch it back out and re-glue it but pessimist in me just thinks it wouldn't stick and would peel right back up.

@joecparrish Did you get the original leather dash replacement or go with the faux leather one? I've see posts on the ML and S class forums that the faux leather doesn't have this issue so some have gone that route. If you went back with the original leather, how has it been since the replacement?
I was not given an option between leather and faux. I assume they replaced the dash with whatever it came with originally.

Replacement was one year ago, and it's doing fine so far. The peeling of my dash began after about five years (started in 2022 on a MY2017 vehicle.)

Old 08-14-2024, 03:08 PM

GLS 63
Thanks for the info @joecparrish!