2022 GLA 200 Scraping Noise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLA 200
2022 GLA 200 Scraping Noise.

Hi everyone. Hope you can help me out.

I bought past July a brand new 2022 GLA 200, H247, 1.3L engine.

The car has had a few issues with wheel alignment and interior ambient lights not working, those were corrected by dealer.

But it suddenly started making this weird noise.

I drive 8km to work and about the same back home everyday. At my work the car is always parked outside in the same spot on a slight downhill.

One day, when leaving work I get on the car, start it up, set up my spotify, press the brake pedal, shift to drive, hear the electronic parking brake release and then when I lift my foot from the brake and before I go for the gas, as the car starts to creep forward I hear the noise.

A metal on metal scraping noise GRRRR, I could also feel the friction of something on the front end slowing the car from moving. This lasted maybe 3 seconds and it was normal again.

Called the dealer, they told me it was probably the new brakes adapting, to keep an eye on it and if persisted I was to call them.

It happened again very intermittently during the following week and then it stopped completely for about a week until....

One afternoon, left work, drove for 1 or 2km and then while driving slowly maybe 10km/h on a curved hill it made the noise and friction again... instead this time it was 10 times greater than before and it suddenly stopped and and was normal.

It scared me a LOT, next morning called dealer, they tried to give the dumb customer treatment saying it maybe as the ABS or Collition Prevention Assist engaging.

I assured them that was not the case and that the problem was clearly a malfunction.

They proceded to tell me that it could be brake system related, I told them it sounded reasonable but that I was also worried it could be transmission or clutch related.

They said it was likely not the case and that they did not had records of other GLAs with this issue. Adviced me to keep driving the car hoping it would go away and trying to record the failure if it happened again to avoid wasting time trying to replicate the noise at the dealership leaving me with no car.

I have tried to film it with no luck, the noise stopped for maybe a few weeks, was begining to think it was a thing of the past and today..... it suddenly happened again, after work, all the same.

So here I am, worried, stressed having to deal with this. I miss my old 2018 W205 that had zero issues.

Please give any ideas of what could it be...
Pointers, advice and etc are kindly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLB250 4Matic
May be it is Traction Control Acting up? Try turning it off and see if it makes a difference. Should be in settings under ESP function.
The following users liked this post:
Josuan90 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLA 200
Thanks for the reply!

I dont think its software related as it feels mechanic, metal on metal...and its very intermittent to try turning a feature off... but I will try it to see what happens.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 355 Likes on 294 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Sorry for your difficulty. I would suggest you take it to a different MB dealer and see what they say. If no satisfaction there, then try the regional MB rep.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA250 H247, C300 2019 Coupe
i noticed the sensors are a bit sensitive, it might detect some low object (in my case low kerb, or slight uphill slope and start to activate active brake assist.

try to reduce the sensor sensitivity.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
Mercedes Benz techs are not knowledgeable. It is because ( I think ) lack of communication between them and the mother ship in Germany ...lol
Any sound while normal braking or driving is always abnormal and can be a security risk. Take their report in writing.
Also, get 3rd party opinions. I also have GLA 250, 2021 no issue. I use it for daily driving and mainten myself as I have a diagnostic computer for my GLE 2018 and GLA 2021. I saved 1000s of money just by maintaining myself, and not getting frustrated by the intelligent answers by MB dealers. Also, I save time and get satisfaction from keeping my cars away from MB dealers.

Last edited by sub786sub; 12-05-2022 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ahhl (12-05-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 355 Likes on 294 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by sub786sub
Mercedes Benz techs are not knowledgeable. It is because ( I think ) lack of communication between them and the mother ship in Germany ...lol
Any sound while normal braking or driving is always abnormal and can be a security risk. Take their report in writing.
Also, get 3rd party opinions. I also have GLA 250, 2021 no issue. I use it for daily driving and mainten myself as I have a diagnostic computer for my GLE 2018 and GLA 2021. I saved 1000s of money just by maintaining myself, and not getting frustrated by the intelligent answers by MB dealers. Also, I save time and get satisfaction from keeping my cars away from MB dealers.
I totally agree with you that the noise that the OP reported is not normal. As far as DIYing a modern MB beyond fluid changes and tire rotations, such additional work is best left to highly trained auto mechanics and auto engineers who have the wealth of knowledge needed to work on these modern vehicles and are more likely to have all of the diagnostic and repair equipment or knowledge of such equipment that's needed to keep these newer vehicles functioning properly. No offense but an untrained DIYer can do some pretty serious and expensive damage to a modern MB, especially with all of the electronics that these modern MBs now contain. I was raised by such an engineer so that's why I'm making this point.