GLA Class (H247) Produced 2021 to Present

Help with GLA AMG 35 brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLA 35
Help with GLA AMG 35 brakes

I have a 2022 GLA AMG 35 at 600 miles the brakes squealed at every stop, the dealership replaced a cracked porcelain pad. Now at 3,000 miles, the brakes are squeaking again (so loud that people look over at me when I’m stopping). The brake dust after just two days after a car wash is excessive and thick on the rims. The dealership says it’s “normal” because they are high performance brakes. My Dad drives a Porsche 911 and his brakes have never squealed. HELP!
Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
It is same with GLB35 and bedding the brakes even doesn't help much. Squeal comes back...Brake dust is similar. You can change to ceramic brakes to reduce that...

Explanation of squeal is in the below post from Porsche:
https://www.prestigeimports.net/pors...eal-explained/

MB service said:
"Next time you are on an isolated road/parking lot, with no one behind you, go through a few cycles of speeding up and then hitting the brakes harder than you normally would. Obviously, you don’t want to brake hard enough to cause a skid, you just want to push it a little more than you would in normal day-to-day driving. The harder application of force can help normalize pad pressure distribution and reduce squealing."

https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes

HOW TO BED BRAKES

1 PICK YOUR SPOT - Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times.

2 SPEED UP, THEN SLOW DOWN - Accelerate to 35 MPH and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to under 5 MPH.

3 REPEAT AS NECESSARY - Repeat this process 2-3 times, accelerating back to 35 MPH and moderately braking.

4 TEST AGAIN AT 55 MPH - Next, increase speed to 50 MPH and strongly brake down to 5 MPH. You don't want to brake strong enough to activate your ABS or lock up the tires. You should be able to come down to 5 MPH within a few seconds.

5 REPEAT AS NECESSARY - Repeat this process 4-5 times, then drive an additional 1-2 miles while very lightly braking to cool down the brakes.

6 PRO TIP: It's important to avoid coming to a complete stop during the hard-braking stage as it's possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors. Of course, should a pedestrian or animal run onto the road, feel free to mash the brake pedal. Safety first!
The following users liked this post:
Scr209 (11-12-2022)
Old 01-16-2024, 10:49 PM

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
MB Technical Service Bulletin for squeaky brakes on GLA35/GLB35:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...33782-0001.pdf

Originally Posted by Scr209
I have a 2022 GLA AMG 35 at 600 miles the brakes squealed at every stop, the dealership replaced a cracked porcelain pad. Now at 3,000 miles, the brakes are squeaking again (so loud that people look over at me when I’m stopping). The brake dust after just two days after a car wash is excessive and thick on the rims. The dealership says it’s “normal” because they are high performance brakes. My Dad drives a Porsche 911 and his brakes have never squealed. HELP!