GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

ECO mode issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA 220 CDI 4Matic
ECO mode issues

Hello all, please have patience as I am new!

So, I got a lovely shiny new GLA and thought it would take a little while to get used to the stop/start engine as I've never experienced this before. However, upon having the car for 4 months and persevering with it, it would seem that the ECO mode does as it pleases, when it likes.
It used to be (when I first got the car) that the engine would be turned off once the footpedal was applied and this worked well for me. But now, when the footbreak with 'hold' is applied and the engine doesn't turn off?! (with ECO mode on)
Why does my little GLA behave this way!? I thought we were friends
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 GLA250 4Matic, '13 GLK 4Matic (wife's), '01 Porsche Boxster S, 1938 Chevrolet Master Town Sedan
ECO mode depends on many inputs

The ECO mode control to shut down the engine depends on many variables the engine management system monitors; engine temp, ambient temperature, A/C and heater control settings, etc.

I took delivery on my GLA250 in October. The ECO mode shut down the engine frequently after the system warmed up. Now that it's winter, it rarely if ever comes on, even when I am not using the hold function. I'm thinking your experience is likely normal.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Its a malfunction with the system if the Eco is GREEN and you are at a complete stop AND the car does NOT shut off the engine
Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM

GLA 220 CDI 4Matic
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Its a malfunction with the system if the Eco is GREEN and you are at a complete stop AND the car does NOT shut off the engine
Yes, this is what is happening I've booked it in to be looked at. Also, it gets a faint electrical burning smell every now and again. Not at the same time as this issue. I can't help but think that it is a contributing factor ....
Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 AM

GLA 220 CDI 4Matic
Thumbs down ***UPDATE***

So, just to prepare you all for what is to come - Apologies I've not been back for a little while but I've had a battle and a half with Mercedes.

I am firstly, disgraced with how they have handled this and the car was actually recalled. The first I knew of this was today when I had to ask and ask for the job card to advise me what had been carried out on my car whilst it was in for 'inspection'.

So. What has happened to the car. Well, there WAS indeed a service recall.

- Service recall SRPC1500 - tensioner seal replaced
- Carried out software update to heater controls to overcome poor air flow through heater vent
- Removed and replaced defective battery sensor - for eco stop/start fault
- Recalibrated rear reversing camera

Can I just say. On a brand new car. That is only 4 months old. I am speechless.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:31 AM

GLA 220 CDI 4Matic
And to add insult to injury - They have racked up 100 unexpected and unexplained miles on the cars return.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:03 AM

GLA 220 CDI 4Matic
Had car back for 2 days now - Issue not resolved. ECO mode only reared it's head once in my 43 minute journey without heated seats, air con and it's not cold outside. Also, the parking sensors randomly went off and the dash got so bright that it dazzled me and I had to stop. I think they've ruined their electrics with whatever they've done to 'repair' it.
Old 05-05-2022, 11:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
As a comment, my wife’s GLA quit doing the Start/Stop thing at traffic lights. The batteries seemed fine BUT… were seven years old. Since batteries rarely last past five years, I took the GLA to Interstate who put in two new batteries.

The GLA is now doing its Start/Stop thing again. My wife is monitoring the fuel mileage as she does a lot of driving through town.

Peter