GLA Class (X156) Produced 2013-2020

Is it possible to upgrade headlight assembly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to upgrade headlight assembly?

Hi all. First time poster here! *waves*

I’ve owned a 2019 GLA250 4Matic for about a year now. Love my car. But I would really like a better headlight assembly. The GLA250 has got some of the nicer trim elements like the panoramic sun/moon roof, etc. But…unfortunately, it has the most basic headlight assembly. You know the ones: two yellow-ish old-school looking bulbs, no led strip:

I actually really like the exterior of the previous GLA 250 model. But the headlights look so outdated, and takes away from the otherwise luxurious exterior. My previous cars (Jeep Cherokees) had the daytime running LED strip and the bi-xenon headlights, and I think that just looks so much more modern.

I’ve noticed that some of the 2019 GLA250 4Matics have the headlight trim which includes the bi-xenon headlights and LED strip:

You can probably guess my question.

Since, most every thing on these cars is interchangeable, and kinda(!) plug-and-play…would it be possible to upgrade my basic headlight assembly with the nicer LED strip/bi-xenon set?

I asked at the dealership and they said something about it wouldn’t be possible because of “ a module”…but I’m not sure if that’s true. Shouldn’t you just be able to switch out the older ones with the new ones.

Would love some guidance here. Thanks all.
Old 09-17-2024, 03:58 AM

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
W213 All-terrain
You can install the full LED headlights like in your second picture, as from 2016 the Xenon's become obsolete.

Depending of the VIN number this retrofit can be expensive or very expensive.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trigital
You can install the full LED headlights like in your second picture, as from 2016 the Xenon's become obsolete.

Depending of the VIN number this retrofit can be expensive or very expensive.

Well, I’m not the biggest fan of expensive, or very expensive, lol.

Second option:

Is it possible to simply replace the headphone bulbs with something other than the super ugly yellowish bulbs in there now?

Thanks.

And if so, could you or someone point me in the direction of where one might find the bulbs. (The most I know about cars is how to drive them, lol. I’ll google bulbs, but I trust the advice of people better educated on the brand and options than me).
Old 09-18-2024, 09:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,789 Likes on 2,372 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Nagisa
https://i.imgur.com/LAKVie7.gif

Well, I’m not the biggest fan of expensive, or very expensive, lol.

Second option:

Is it possible to simply replace the headphone bulbs with something other than the super ugly yellowish bulbs in there now?

Thanks.

And if so, could you or someone point me in the direction of where one might find the bulbs. (The most I know about cars is how to drive them, lol. I’ll google bulbs, but I trust the advice of people better educated on the brand and options than me).
You could probably get aftermarket replicas of the same type of headlights as OEM but a cheaper cost or you can sell the existing oems to recoupe some of the cost.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:54 AM

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
W213 All-terrain
It also depends of the legislation in your area,