Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Exhaust actuator broken spring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA45
Exhaust actuator broken spring

I found out I had a broken spring in the exhaust flap actuator, a mate found "exhaust actuator closed" code. I took the car for a run and heard a loud whooshing noise coming from the left exhaust. I took the right tail pipe off, undid the clip, opened the actuator case and found the broken spring. I don't think I really need the flap to be closed so I found a way to keep it open all the time. I put it back together including putting the plug back in.
I am now wondering if this was the cause of my car throwing yellow engine light warning with the Rebellion tune hooked up. I might reconnect the Rebellion tune next week and see what happens. I want to drive around for a week or so to see if the hose clamp modification holds up.

I just used a hose clamp to keep in position.

Last edited by olmate; 02-21-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Thats a Holden level fix mate

If it can't do what the brain asked it to do, its gonna spit the dummy.

Noice Spider ya got there, BTW creepin into view at the bottom
Old 02-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GLA 45
Originally Posted by olmate
I found out I had a broken spring in the exhaust flap actuator, a mate found "exhaust actuator closed" code. I took the car for a run and heard a loud whooshing noise coming from the left exhaust. I took the right tail pipe off, undid the clip, opened the actuator case and found the broken spring. I don't think I really need the flap to be closed so I found a way to keep it open all the time. I put it back together including putting the plug back in.
I am now wondering if this was the cause of my car throwing yellow engine light warning with the Rebellion tune hooked up. I might reconnect the Rebellion tune next week and see what happens. I want to drive around for a week or so to see if the hose clamp modification holds up.

I just used a hose clamp to keep in position.
unfortunately the valve needs to work in order to get all the right power numbers. i had mine unplugs open and it looks like the car pulls the power back due to the not working valve.
rebelloin has nothing to do with it, fyi.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:09 PM

GLA45
hahaha....Bogan fix....cheap though

Old 02-25-2020, 04:48 AM

GLA45
Originally Posted by caug
unfortunately the valve needs to work in order to get all the right power numbers. i had mine unplugs open and it looks like the car pulls the power back due to the not working valve.
rebelloin has nothing to do with it, fyi.
Thanks caug, Iv probably been driving around with the flap closed for the last 12 months. I put the tune back in and no yellow engine light as yet, see what happens.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLA45
Embarrassingly, I had my 2016 GLA45 in for new tires and a 30k service. I happen to mention that my exhaust sound seemed not to change when I pushed the exhaust button on the console. They checked it out and said it wasn't working. They will be replacing a faulty actuator next Wednesday. So, after 4 years, I will be able to experience real straight pipe sound!