Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

Looking to get one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
Looking to get one

I’m looking at a 2018 GLA45 for wife. Pros n cons? Maintenance issues? Maintenance cost?

Anyone have had their engine replaced? Heard it’s common on these 4 cylinders. Any truth?

input appreciated for me to pull trigger or not. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2020, 09:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GLA 45 AMG
I have a '19 GLA 45 and spend a lot of time on these boards. I've not seen much talk about engine failure. My previous Bluetec was far more likely to suffer catastrophic failure.
My GLA has been very reliable. Never been back to the dealer. What a blast to drive!
Old 04-17-2020, 10:39 AM

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Wfrager
I have a '19 GLA 45 and spend a lot of time on these boards. I've not seen much talk about engine failure. My previous Bluetec was far more likely to suffer catastrophic failure.
My GLA has been very reliable. Never been back to the dealer. What a blast to drive!
Thanks so much for your inputs. Very much want it but will be diligent on research and get consensus from owners before I make decision to purchase.

Looking at this 2018 with 15k miles for $36k. Seems like a good price.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Originally Posted by MSG 55G
I’m looking at a 2018 GLA45 for wife. Pros n cons? Maintenance issues? Maintenance cost?

Anyone have had their engine replaced? Heard it’s common on these 4 cylinders. Any truth?

Pics?
Old 05-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Thanks so much for your inputs. Very much want it but will be diligent on research and get consensus from owners before I make decision to purchase.

Looking at this 2018 with 15k miles for $36k. Seems like a good price.
Hey Top,
know any 55B20's that were in a movie? (being 55B)

hehe
Old 05-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'15 AMG GLA45

I've got a '15 with 60k miles and I'm planning to trade it in for a newer GLA45 model when the CPO warranty expires later this year. I'd kinda hoped AMG would've put their new 420hp M139 engine in something else for us by now but it sounds like the USDM will have to wait a little longer. In the meantime I'm OK with another GLA45 because it's easily been the most complete car I've ever owned. It has tons of interior space (like any other GLA) and gets 30mpg on the highway so it's extremely practical by modern standards. The only out-of-pocket maintenance I've paid was to replace a broken exhaust flap that inexplicably fell outside of their CPO warranty. No other mechanical or reliability issues whatsoever. My car is bone stock. Have you or your wife driven a GLA45 yet?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA 45
Hi, I just bought a CPO 2016 GLA45 for my wife in January 2020 ($36K is a steal).

Her only complaint is climbing in and out of the Recaro seats. If you don't climb into it. Guy or gal will get smashed down below every time! OUCH!
Word of caution too and it's something to get use to. She has crashed the car into the garage when pulling out. The GLA is much longer and wider than a TC.
Again, it's something to get use to.

The big maintenance items like the 30K are pricey! We're talking $988 for a 30K and that was half off at my local MB dealer during this COVID 19 thing.

MY Minor grips and they are just minor.
1. I have full panoramic sun roof option. The sunshade is not very good at blocking out the sun. The material is a very thin cloth like substance.
2. The tablet looking infotainment thing does not move or tilt.
3. They have a knob to change the tune and a knob for managing the infotainment. They are close together and I ALWAYS grab the infotainment one when wanting to use tune knob.

When I drive the GLA, it takes a moment for it to get going for whatever reason from a start (I even tried the resetting feature mentioned on sites).
Then it goes like a bat outta you know where!
It does have some wind noise at high speeds on the freeway around the driver side window mirror area.
I didn't care for the stock continental tires. They were even brand new and part of the CPO maintenance. They are terrible in rain.
So, I put some A/S Michelins. It rides great! Will be selling the continentals here soon.

1. The shifting fuel popping is absolutely funny and obnoxious, I love it!
2. My goodness the stopping power is awesome!
3. I love the steering feeling and the steering wheel set up.
4. The little turbo'ed 2.0 engine is no joke. I can go 80 mph and not even know it.
5. Love all the luxury features

Good Luck! I did a lot of research before getting!
I looked at the Porsche Macan Turbo, Jaguar F-Pace, Explorer ST, Jaguar F-Type R, Audi SQ5, GLC63, Lexcus RCF, Audi RS3 and Alpha Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

PS: If it matters, this is from a guy who owned an 89 TBird SC, 95 and 03 Cobra Rustangs, SRT4, Audi TTRS and my current car a Mazdaspeed 6
Old 05-16-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Earl Grey
Hi, I just bought a CPO 2016 GLA45 for my wife in January 2020 ($36K is a steal).

Her only complaint is climbing in and out of the Recaro seats. If you don't climb into it. Guy or gal will get smashed down below every time! OUCH!
Word of caution too and it's something to get use to. She has crashed the car into the garage when pulling out. The GLA is much longer and wider than a TC.
Again, it's something to get use to.

The big maintenance items like the 30K are pricey! We're talking $988 for a 30K and that was half off at my local MB dealer during this COVID 19 thing.

MY Minor grips and they are just minor.
1. I have full panoramic sun roof option. The sunshade is not very good at blocking out the sun. The material is a very thin cloth like substance.
2. The tablet looking infotainment thing does not move or tilt.
3. They have a knob to change the tune and a knob for managing the infotainment. They are close together and I ALWAYS grab the infotainment one when wanting to use tune knob.

When I drive the GLA, it takes a moment for it to get going for whatever reason from a start (I even tried the resetting feature mentioned on sites).
Then it goes like a bat outta you know where!
It does have some wind noise at high speeds on the freeway around the driver side window mirror area.
I didn't care for the stock continental tires. They were even brand new and part of the CPO maintenance. They are terrible in rain.
So, I put some A/S Michelins. It rides great! Will be selling the continentals here soon.

1. The shifting fuel popping is absolutely funny and obnoxious, I love it!
2. My goodness the stopping power is awesome!
3. I love the steering feeling and the steering wheel set up.
4. The little turbo'ed 2.0 engine is no joke. I can go 80 mph and not even know it.
5. Love all the luxury features

Good Luck! I did a lot of research before getting!
I looked at the Porsche Macan Turbo, Jaguar F-Pace, Explorer ST, Jaguar F-Type R, Audi SQ5, GLC63, Lexcus RCF, Audi RS3 and Alpha Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

PS: If it matters, this is from a guy who owned an 89 TBird SC, 95 and 03 Cobra Rustangs, SRT4, Audi TTRS and my current car a Mazdaspeed 6
Greets, and welcome.

I also am transitioning from a 6, and have noted similar experiences

there is a GLAowners forum as well, it is a bigger ghost town than this backwater, so If you were on the MS forums, get ready for crickets.

After you get used to it, the ****ty driving feel below 6mph is livable. just keep your left foot near the brake, and jab at the gas about 50% more than you think you need.

the chassis clunks in reverse are considered normal........... I bought some aftermarket bushings, but have not yet installed same as the H&R srpings

The sunroof, yeah, so Mine is polar white, and I have applied gloss white vinyl wrap to the roof, huge difference best first mod for sure

You grab the wrong knob because the info knob is placed under your elbow. wait til you try to figure out that mess they threw up against the dash surface under the info screen. you will soon miss the mazda HVAC layout haha

those seats are the bees knees tho, yeah?

Your MS6 stock?

Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA 45
Hi! Thanks for the welcome!
I do not surf forums to much. Glad to know it's not the busiest. I will have to be strategic in my titles.
It seems and I'm included here (Bad Me). I only get on forums to sell things, look up a problem or the occasional WTH rant.

That is great to hear I'm not alone in the transition. Sadly, I try not drive the GLA much. It's my wife's and therefore hasn't moved for 2 months.
Maybe the occasional start up and back in and out driveway the last 2 months. =/

Thanks for those tips! I would have never guessed and probably would spent hours researching!!! YES, what is with the infotainment system! =/

LOVE the Recaro's!

Yeah, ended up with a Speed 6 by accident. My wife didn't want me getting another mustang.
So, it has been my daily driver for the last few years. Nothing major done to it. except the usually user friendly mods.
I put a Corksport 1st gen turbo and the mods to handle it at 21psi with a Purpledrank tune. Plus, I bought it with 89K and the prior owner did a lot to it too (Top Mount I/C, lowered it and Cobb Access port).
It's an okay car! For whatever reason, I try driving it like RWD and almost had some bad wrecks. Well, I did wreck, I just did not hit anyone or damage property. Let's just say I have jumped concrete curbs or spun out 180s in corners and ended up in other lanes. These cars have bad oversteer and I didn't even know! =/
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Earl Grey
Hi! Thanks for the welcome!
I do not surf forums to much. Glad to know it's not the busiest. I will have to be strategic in my titles.
It seems and I'm included here (Bad Me). I only get on forums to sell things, look up a problem or the occasional WTH rant.

That is great to hear I'm not alone in the transition. Sadly, I try not drive the GLA much. It's my wife's and therefore hasn't moved for 2 months.
Maybe the occasional start up and back in and out driveway the last 2 months. =/

Thanks for those tips! I would have never guessed and probably would spent hours researching!!! YES, what is with the infotainment system! =/

LOVE the Recaro's!

Yeah, ended up with a Speed 6 by accident. My wife didn't want me getting another mustang. (ha ha, so you got a FOMOCO kit car instead.....
These cars have bad oversteer and I didn't even know! =/
Hehe, forgot about that purple drank cat.
These poor stiff shirts , all these tunes are very official sounding yeah? no " Dizzy tune, FreekTune (,who didn't have a "FreekTuned by Justin" sticker ?) Purple Drank. Hypnotic, the list goes on,

Speaking of facing the wrong way, There was a funny story about the SWAS sensor mod, apparently, some 3 owner gave other road users quite a show of creative car control on a packed snow off ramp. this sensor tells the ECU where the steering shaft is, and pulls power in 1rst and second when it sees the wheel off center. Just an awsome 3 minute mod to unplug it, apparently the stability control, and ABS don't like to be in the dark.
its good to leave that hooked up in the winter......