Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

GLA 45 AMG Fuel smell in cabin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLA 45 AMG
GLA 45 AMG Fuel smell in cabin

Hi Everyone. I have a 2015 GLA 45 AMG with 38k kms, this morning when driving the smell of fuel kept coming in the cabin of the car with the AC on. When the AC was off it wasn't coming in. I tried this about 4 times and all 4 times the smell of fuel kept coming in with the AC on. There were no leaks under the car I let the car idle for a bit and couldn't find anything leaking under the car. I could however smell fuel from the front passenger side of the car my car is right hand drive. another thing to note the car was driven very hard on a rally yesterday but there were no mishaps or issues that happened during that and I was driving the whole way with the AC on. The car also drives completely fine. Has anyone experienced this before? and does anyone know what this may be?
Thanks in Advance I look forward to hearing from you owners.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
All gas tanks are pressurized and sometimes they release fumes to alleviate that pressure. That might be what this is. I would be more concerned if there was a constant smell of fumes.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:04 AM

GLA 45 AMG
I sent the car to the dealer and there was actually a leak in the main fuel hose. We initially thought there was an error with one of the injectors but that turned out not to be the case.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Abhishekk
I sent the car to the dealer and there was actually a leak in the main fuel hose. We initially thought there was an error with one of the injectors but that turned out not to be the case.
I'm glad that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved. It's interesting that your gas smell wasn't more of a constant smell regardless of type of use. Not all gas odors have an issue. Sometimes it's just the pressurized gas tank releasing some fumes to lower the pressure. That's more typical though in the hot summer temperatures. BTW, I'll bet your car is quite the "pocket rocket" on track days. I would think it would be a really good autocrosser as well. I've seen a couple of these on the roads but they're pretty rare. I think the "hot hatch" look makes this 1st generation GLA AMG more desirable.

Last edited by 190Efan; 12-21-2022 at 11:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Abhishekk (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 12:11 AM

GLA 45 AMG
Yup thanks, i should get the car back in a few days, the parts which are unique for this car are a little hard to find. I have never driven my car on the track but on a nice canyon road it handles really well, with some nice coilovers and good summer tires I doubt much would keep up. Yeah they are super rare I honestly don't see many other ones either, I definitely think they are more desirable than the CLA 45 as the GLA 45 is much rarer and in my opinion looks better, drives just as good and is much more practical. When I got this car I was deciding between this and the CLA 45 and I just liked the GLA more.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Abhishekk
Yup thanks, i should get the car back in a few days, the parts which are unique for this car are a little hard to find. I have never driven my car on the track but on a nice canyon road it handles really well, with some nice coilovers and good summer tires I doubt much would keep up. Yeah they are super rare I honestly don't see many other ones either, I definitely think they are more desirable than the CLA 45 as the GLA 45 is much rarer and in my opinion looks better, drives just as good and is much more practical. When I got this car I was deciding between this and the CLA 45 and I just liked the GLA more.
I totally agree with you. I wish you many happy miles.
Abhishekk (12-23-2022)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLA45
I just picked up a 2018 GLA45 and had the same issue. $800 repair bill (!!)...but the car is running great. I don't think I'll change much other than new wheels/tires and maybe an intake. Such a fun car!
chassis (10-19-2023)