Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

briefly pulling to the left after pothole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 gla45 amg
briefly pulling to the left after pothole

Hello I hit an invisible gap in the concrete moving between highway exits quite hard, at which point the car moved quite sternly to the left for a bit. I was unlucky to hit the gap, but lucky that nobody was in the lanes to the left of me. I then proceeded to immediately pull to the shoulder and examine the tires, which seemed OK. I then saw another guy stopped behind me, who said the same thing happened to him, and he did have a flat. (great maintenance we have of the highways)

In any event I tested the car some more and it seemed to be OKish and not pulling either direction, so I very slowly drove it a little bit more until it could be parked nearby off the highway. The next day I made sure to check and fill up the pressure of the tires properly, and drove it slowly to a wheel alignment place and had it properly aligned. They didn't see anything obvious re: anything bent or anything like that, though perhaps they weren't overall mechanical experts (just specialized in tires and alignment). And it did seem to ride OK on the way home, though I definitely drive more cautiously then I might otherwise.

Is there something that could explain the brief period of time post-hit that would result in that strong pulling to the left? (I was moving initially from right to left when I hit the gap). It still has me concerned that for some reason the car just "reset" and was OK after it seemingly wasn't OK.

Should I bring it in to the dealership or some other place to have it more thoroughly examined? (I don't necessarily notice anything at the moment that is obvious - other than perhaps it takes a bit more steering to move it to the right or left, but it doesn't seem to pull either direction)

Old 05-09-2023, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
It might be a good idea for your own piece of mind to take it to your local MB dealer for a more thorough inspection of your suspension, steering and brakes and to also double check the front end alignment. The MB dealer will be far more knowledgeable about these areas than the typical alignment shop.