Notices
GLA45, GLA35 AMG (X156, H247) 2014 - present (two generations)

GLA45S: So what's my take after 6 months?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2022 G63, 2023 GLA 45S
GLA45S: So what's my take after 6 months?

The GLA 45S has exceeded my expectations during the first 6 months of ownership. I bought the car as a fun daily driver and configured it as a sleeper that could handle the potholes, dips and poor roads we have in the Dominican Republic when you go off the beaten path. We have a relatively good network of primary roads and fun in the twisties was also an objective.

The GLA 45 handles all these duties exceptionally well. As a daily driver it is taller than an A class and provides good visibility and greater height to deal with semi flooded streets that get drenched with tropical rains. I configured it without the larger rear wing, in matte magno gray with black accents. It gets lost in the usual stream of Hyundais and Kias here and I draw little attention from street vendors. Going with the smallest rims (19") has worked out well to improve ride comfort and adds to the sleeper effect. The GLA is not only a sleeper for the general public, but also even among AMG enthusiasts (just look at the low level of traffic in this section of the forum versus other AMG models).

As a daily driver it is a blast to drive. I default to race mode whenever I drive. It is peppy and ready to pounce in traffic that disregards traffic regulations. It is easy to park and highly practical in terms of trunk space and adequate comfort for 4. The Mbux system is excellent, better than the Porsche system in my wife's '23 Macan GTS. Few cars offer as many options for driver inputs: the touch screen, the dual blackberry thumb mice, buttons on the steering wheel and buttons on the center console. And if those aren't enough you can use the TouchPad in the center console or the back-lit, dynamic manettino dials on the steering wheel.

The driving experience is absolutely fun. The car is quick, handles well and fast too. AMG stands out aurally versus the competition and the GLA lives up to this with enhanced sound from the stock muffler and a fine chorus of pops and bangs. The GLA feels and drives like a raised hot hatch, not a small suv. The Macan GTS has 22 hp more than the GLA 45S, but the GLA weighs about 400 lbs less making it feel like more of a hot hatch (the GTS feels more like a compact luxury sport SUV). I have two sports cars for weekend drives and occasional track days and I do not regret leaving them in the garage when weekend drives require an extra seat or two for passengers or more space to carry cargo mandating use of the GLA.

The dual sunroof allows for a vast amount of light for all passengers. And the leather (and in my case wood) finishes are a notch above most manufacturers with notable texture that differentiates it from others that are closer to vinyl. The Burmester system is good, not great (the one in the Macan is fantastic by comparison).

The only negative I can find for this small suv is that a bit wind noise intrudes at high speeds on my driver side.

I have seen many reviews asking whom this vehicle was built for. Me for sure...I can't think of a better low key option that provides as much driving satisfaction and practicality on daily drives and is also ready to make the most of twisty backroads.

Kudos to MB and AMG for the GLA. This is my 3rd AMG (my first was an E63 sedan and I currently also have a GTC roadster) and each one has been superb.

Last edited by sjp3003; 01-14-2024 at 10:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
White Cloud (04-26-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,520 Likes on 2,143 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by sjp3003
The GLA 45S has exceeded my expectations during the first 6 months of ownership. I bought the car as a fun daily driver and configured it as a sleeper that could handle the potholes, dips and poor roads we have in the Dominican Republic when you go off the beaten path. We have a relatively good network of primary roads and fun in the twisties was also an objective.

The GLA 45 handles all these duties exceptionally well. As a daily driver it is taller than an A class and provides good visibility and greater height to deal with semi flooded streets that get drenched with tropical rains. I configured it without the larger rear wing, in matte magno gray with black accents. It gets lost in the usual stream of Hyundais and Kias here and I draw little attention from street vendors. Going with the smallest rims (19") has worked out well to improve ride comfort and adds to the sleeper effect. The GLA is not only a sleeper for the general public, but also even among AMG enthusiasts (just look at the low level of traffic in this section of the forum versus other AMG models).

As a daily driver it is a blast to drive. I default to race mode whenever I drive. It is peppy and ready to pounce in traffic that disregards traffic regulations. It is easy to park and highly practical in terms of trunk space and adequate comfort for 4. The Mbux system is excellent, better than the Porsche system in my wife's '23 Macan GTS. Few cars offer as many options for driver inputs: the touch screen, the dual blackberry thumb mice, buttons on the steering wheel and buttons on the center console. And if those aren't enough you can use the TouchPad in the center console or the back-lit, dynamic manettino dials on the steering wheel.

The driving experience is absolutely fun. The car is quick, handles well and fast too. AMG stands out aurally versus the competition and the GLA lives up to this with enhanced sound from the stock muffler and a fine chorus of pops and bangs. The GLA feels and drives like a raised hot hatch, not a small suv. The Macan GTS has 22 hp more than the GLA 45S, but the GLA weighs about 400 lbs less making it feel like more of a hot hatch (the GTS feels more like a compact luxury sport SUV). I have two sports cars for weekend drives and occasional track days and I do not regret leaving them in the garage when weekend drives require an extra seat or two for passengers or more space to carry cargo mandating use of the GLA.

The dual sunroof allows for a vast amount of light for all passengers. And the leather (and in my case wood) finishes are a notch above most manufacturers with notable texture that differentiates it from others that are closer to vinyl. The Burmester system is good, not great (the one in the Macan is fantastic by comparison).

The only negative I can find for this small suv is that a bit wind noise intrudes at high speeds on my driver side.

I have seen many reviews asking whom this vehicle was built for. Me for sure...I can't think of a better low key option that provides as much driving satisfaction and practicality on daily drives and is also ready to make the most of twisty backroads.

Kudos to MB and AMG for the GLA. This is my 3rd AMG (my first was an E63 sedan and I currently also have a GTC roadster) and each one has been superb.
Thanks for sharing your impressions, if only we get the GLA 45 S in North America... if I recalled correctly, we don't even get the 45 in GLA facelift trim... maybe not yet.
The following users liked this post:
sjp3003 (03-23-2024)