GLB for tall drivers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tesla Model Y
GLB for tall drivers

Hi,
We need a 3rd row SUV. We were originally going to go with the GLE but honestly cannot justify the price difference between that and the GLB. How is the driving seat for tall drivers? I am 6'4" and currently drive a Tesla Model Y which I fit well in.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2022, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Originally Posted by ajaved747
Hi,
We need a 3rd row SUV. We were originally going to go with the GLE but honestly cannot justify the price difference between that and the GLB. How is the driving seat for tall drivers? I am 6'4" and currently drive a Tesla Model Y which I fit well in.
GLB Row 1
HEADROOM-40.7” LEGROOM 41.1”

Model Y Row 1
HEADROOM-41” LEGROOM 41.8”

It looks like the GLB is only fractions of an inch smaller than the Model Y. I would expect you to fit okay. But I really recommend that you schedule a test drive to see if the seating position and control layout are suitable.

BTW — The GLB Row 3 seats are recommended for persons 5’6.5” or smaller. We’ve had taller high school softball and soccer players back there and they haven’t complained, but our typical occupants are only 4’ tall and the rears are perfect for them.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 08:35 AM

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
This is from a German source in metrics:

It is best to drive it in person as Odd Piggy said.
The following users liked this post:
dvenneman (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 01:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLB250
So I am 6'4", but often with us taller guys the ratio of torso to legs can make all the difference when dimensions are tight. For reference I am 200 lb. and have a 33" waist. So I have the driver's seat all the way back, the squab as low in back as possible, and as high in front as possible with the extension all the way out. The seatback is reclined so if I look 90 degrees to left I am looking at B pillar. I have the stock MB-Tex seats, not leather or sport seats, which I actually find not as comfortable. My arms are comfortable with both hands on the steering wheel, I do wish the wheel went both down more and towards the driver more, would make the highway driving more comfortable. I have plenty of headroom, but I'd like more legroom, just another inch would make it so that the leading edge of the squab would support my leg more comfortably, or another inch of depth on the extension would do the same. However, another inch would likely cause issues behind my seat, my 5 year old currently sits there in a Britax 5 point seat, and she has very little legroom, I have to take her shoes off for her to be able to move her feet around easily. I'd be very concerned about that if you are intending on using the third row (assume you have multiple kids), as I was told the third row reduced the second row legroom. My very petite, as he says, 10 year old son would not be comfortable behind me in his Britax booster seat with the seatback.

I'm actually looking at a Q7 this afternoon, I can see where long term I'm going to have space issues because I am not going to be able to move the driver's seat comfortably from the maxed out position my height requires as our kids get older. I am sure I could make it work, but it would be a compromise. I'd not only drive one, but make sure it has the third row so you can evaluate the room in the second row with the seat where you need it. Also I REALLY dislike the hard, edgy trim pieces to either side of the footwell in alignment with my knees, If you are on the highway with cruise on and rest your leg against that center console trim, it is far from comfortable.

Last edited by Extremeengineer; 08-09-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
I kind of hate to advocate for other brands on an MB site, but the layout of some of the alternatives may be better suited for other drivers. US brands seem to design their vehicles for a taller average driver. My daughter has a Cadillac XT6 Sport. And it is less expensive than a GLE. It has every option known to man so a former Mercedes owner should not feel like they were stepping down. I’ve driven it. It drives and handles well, unlike the lumbering “living room on wheels” that is the Escalade ESV. If you’re used to the GLB, you’ll adapt to the controls in minutes. There are luxury models down in the price range of the GLB/GLC with fewer options, but the size and seating doesn’t change. May be worth a look.